C4 Forums | Control4

HC-800 zigbee vs HC-300

Keter8

I am receiving a HC-800 this coming week. I will of course be moving director over to it from the 300. I have a lot of zigbee devices that works flawlessly, and seem to respond immediately. I do not run navigator on the 300.

I would like to leave the zigbee server and zap on the 300, ......OK, I'm lazy, and the 300 is in a more central location.

To those who have switched zigbee to the 800, is there really a perceptible difference? I know the specs say faster, but is it measurable, to a human?

I'm not talking navigator, director or anything else, just zigbee.

I am receiving a HC-800 this coming week. I will of course be moving director over to it from the 300. I have a lot of zigbee devices that works flawlessly, and seem to respond immediately. I do not run navigator on the 300.

I would like to leave the zigbee server and zap on the 300, ......OK, I'm lazy, and the 300 is in a more central location.

To those who have switched zigbee to the 800, is there really a perceptible difference? I know the specs say faster, but is it measurable, to a human?

I'm not talking navigator, director or anything else, just zigbee.

After migrating all services from a mid sized project to a 800 (from a 300C/200B combo) - all aspects of system are considerably faster than previous. This includes zigbee device responsiveness, navigator, device driver response, etc.

Is there a lot of work in doing this? Isn't it mostly a enabling and disabling the services on the controllers?

Could anyone give a brief description of Zigbee Coordinator, Zigbee Server, and Director and the processing power required for each on a 150 node system. Just seeing if I can avoid having to reID an entire mesh. Is control4 working on a simplified process for moving a Zigbee pro mesh onto a new controller without the need to reID?

why fix whats not broken?

What else did he say wasn't working?? I think his point might be that listing is dog-slow or changing rooms is an eternity' date=' etc. but wireless is still good and he wants to keep it that way.[/quote']

Nothing is broke....

Yes, changing rooms is slow, and list navigator, is this mainly due to Zigbee Coordinator, Zigbee Server, or Director?

I'm thinking director, as zigbee is a mesh and more than likely my remotes are bouncing through a light switch (or two) to director. I don't think the 800 is speeding up communication between repeaters.

You *don't* have to re-identify everything.

You *do* have to have all the devices join the new mesh.

The ID of all devices remains the same.

Re-meshing is a bit quicker than re-identifying, since you don't have to do them in order.

RyanE

Have to have all devices leave old mesh' date=' and then re id everything, this is the time consuming part, if you have a large set up[/quote']

I thought you only had to do that if you moved the coordinator?

Only if moving coordinator.

isnt this what he means by (his zap in his hc300)

wasnt aware there was a difference between re-id and re-meshing..........i always thought you had to leave old mesh , then re-connect to new mesh with the same tap sequence as the re-id

why fix whats not broken?

What else did he say wasn't working?? I think his point might be that listing is dog-slow or changing rooms is an eternity' date=' etc. but wireless is still good and he wants to keep it that way.[/quote']

was curious to know why he wanted to change, since his system was working flawless

I thought you only had to do that if you moved the coordinator?

wasnt aware there was a difference between re-id and re-meshing..........i always thought you had to leave old mesh ' date=' then re-connect to new mesh with the same tap sequence as the re-id[/quote']

You do, but when you identify a device you need to go in to Composer and get it ready for that specific device. Much more time consuming.

Also, ZAP and COORDINATOR are not the same.

wasnt aware there was a difference between re-id and re-meshing..........i always thought you had to leave old mesh ' date=' then re-connect to new mesh with the same tap sequence as the re-id[/quote']

You do, but when you identify a device you need to go in to Composer and get it ready for that specific device. Much more time consuming.

Also, ZAP and COORDINATOR are not the same.

Agreed

but in this case i believe his hc300 was his coordinator.............not just a zigbee access point

I would recommend running everything on the 800. In my home I migrated from a 300 director and Zigbee server with a 200 as the navigator.

Things are noticeably faster with the 800 even on Zigbee. List navigator performance is much better - Pages flip much faster. If you think about it your weak link will be the network connection between the 800 and the 300. It does not take any time at all to change your mesh. It is mush faster if the process are contained inside the same processor.

Steps to change the mesh:

1. Backup the project from the 300. (This saves all the MAC addresses before your disconnect devices)

2. Disconnect all devices from the network connections tab. It would be easier to just one by one disconnect the Zigbee devices, otherwise you need to re-id the 300 so you can clear the project.

3. Clear the project and disconnect from the 300.

4. Connect to the 800 and load the previously saved project that includes all the MAC Addresses this is what cuts the time down tremendously.

5. Create the Zigbee Mesh.

6. Open network tools and select Zigbee Network and Join using the 800.

7. Now starting with devices closet to the 800, 4 tap the switches on. All the switches should be green indicating disconnected from the mesh.

8. In my project of 35 devices I had 2 devices that needed to leave the previous Mesh. 13-4-13 then 4 taps on.

I think it took about 5 minutes to do the above procedure. Does not require waiting on a computer or lugging it around. I was able to do multiple switches at a time

i had a hc300 before............worked great and was pretty quick........except for when i was streaming music, then would be kinda sluggish.......plus i was adding more stuff

i have to say, when using now its almost like your finger hasnt even left the button press or remote before it fires...........is that quick.........glad it came out.

That's great! How "slow" was it before though? I have no real issues on a HC-1000 so that's why I ask. Doesn't seem $900 is worth "trying it out".

Other than the navigator I didn't have speed issues before either, but I can tell you know it's considerably quicker. Navigator is lightning quick and zigbee is quicker. Things I never noticed like my card access motions trigger lights a little quicker, list navigator is instant, etc...

It's a well spent $900 in my opinion.

I just switched from the HC1000 to the HC800 and i love it. My system was working great before but now it is extremely fast and very reliable. I have allot of keypads installed to do various tasks and they all respond much quicker. Plus the extravegetables ip drivers seem to work allot better as well. There was a slight lag when using Sonos to stream music which is now gone. Personally I think its the best investment in C4 I have done in awhile.

I agree, with clange02, my system runs very well. In one month I went from a 300/200, to a 1000/300, to the 800. Both steps were a considerable improvement over the last. The 800 being the best both in performance and energy savings. The 300/1000 rating are at 2amp and the 800 is at .4 amps (if i recall correctly) and much quieter.

Actually with the space savings I am putting in a Sony 777 in my rack for my old DVD's, that I could not fit before. I gained 3u of rack space.

Archived