C4 Forums | Control4

Copy protection being implemented on HD stations on many providers including DirecTV

turls

Kind of surprised I don't think this has been mentioned here:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hdtv-programming/2071338-copy-protection-flags-use-component-cables-report-issues-here.html

Completely broke my Slingbox 500 for many channels.  Doesn't seem to be an issue in my Control4 8x8 HDMI matrix.

Hopefully I can still use component cables or some other workaround.

I would think installs with shortcuts would be getting a lot of mad customers at this point.

I have the issue described above but I have a mixed configuration.  I am still on a Component switch but I also have a direct HDMI connection from my rack to my main TV over CAT 5E (HDMI cables going from the DirecTV box through a audio receiver and a HDMI Balun by my main TV).  Because of that setup, I use both the component and HDMI outputs on my DirecTV boxes.  Whem my main TV (or audio receiver) in on (via HDMI), I have no issues with the TVs connected through Compoennt.  However, when the main TV and receiver are off, the TVs connected via Component display the HDCP error and I can't watch the majority of the DirecTV channels.  I know I need to move to a HDMI switch but that is costly.  Is there any way to install a powered HDMI splitter or something to get around this issue in the short term?  I don't want to have the TV and/or audio receiver on 24x7 for many reasons.  Thank you.

Yes,actually - indeed just install a powered hdmi splitter between the box and the TV - this will keep the connection alive. Do watch that the one you use is not 'autosensing' in that it will disconnect the input if there is no connection on the output.

Yes,actually - indeed just install a powered hdmi splitter between the box and the TV - this will keep the connection alive. Do watch that the one you use is not 'autosensing' in that it will disconnect the input if there is no connection on the output.

Thank you.  If I have multiple DirecTV boxes each using a different HDMI port on the audio receiver, would I need 3 hdmi splitters or can I install one splitter near the TV beyond the HDMI balun?  I'm considering the following splitter.  I don't think it is autosensing.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=7522&seq=1&format=2

Thank you.  If I have multiple DirecTV boxes each using a different HDMI port on the audio receiver, would I need 3 hdmi splitters or can I install one splitter near the TV beyond the HDMI balun?  I'm considering the following splitter.  I don't think it is autosensing.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=7522&seq=1&format=2

If running all through a balun, my assupmtion is that you have a video switch.

If so I'd check for any 'keep inputs connected options' first - and then, unfortunately you'd have to put one between the switch and the box.

For that unit -  do not know it at all, so I can;t really stand for it - but douumentation wise it seems it should be OK.

Archived