C4 Forums | Control4

TV screen may be going - can it be fixed and is it worth it?

eggzlot

I have a very nice (but now 6.5 years old) Panny Plasma TV - VT58 model.  First year the VT's were released with 3D (ha used that literally 3x).  Anyways I noticed tonight I am getting a red/white line on the pixels in the upper right portion of the TV.  I am 100% sure its the panel.  I unplugged every HDMI cable in there and just kept the TV on and I saw it, plus I hooked up my DSLR to the old school yellow video in jacket and that still got the pixel lines.  So did not matter the source (my video matrix, local AFT or a camera into a Video jack/non hdmi).

I attached a photo below.  Can the panel be fixed?  For a few hundred bucks I would likely do it since its a very good TV quality wise.  I do not need a 4k set and I know there are a bunch of standards being settled right now with HDCP and HDMI and various color gamuts and whatever with 4k and HDR and frame rates, its very confusing!!!  So to save a headache - is it worth calling around to get repaired or time to junk it?

If it is replacement time, I think I've read newer LG's and Sony's interact nicely with C4?  I have a video matrix and do not need any "smart" features to play nice with C4.  I use an AFT locally and have blu ray/cable boxes on a matrix.  So picture quality to me is most important, interface with c4 would be secondary.  I am a plasma guy so changing to LED or OLED will be tough.

image1.JPG

I'd get a quote for getting it repaired. I love my Pioneer Elite plasma TV's and will fix them for as long as I can (though I've never needed to). Mine are more like 10 years old, but I'm still a bigger fan of them than anything I could go buy today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, dhendriksen said:

I'd get a quote for getting it repaired. I love my Pioneer Elite plasma TV's and will fix them for as long as I can (though I've never needed to). Mine are more like 10 years old, but I'm still a bigger fan of them than anything I could go buy today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah that is where I am leaning; I guess google search authorized Panasonic repair near my zip code?  Is there any other troubleshooting I can do to try and narrow down the problem?  The power cord is a pain to get to, any reason to think this could be a power issue?  It is plugged into a panamax conditioner that is in the AV Cabinet below.  its tight in there, but I have fans so it does not over heat.  and nothing else plugged in there seems to have issues, but maybe the power cable went, or is this likely just the screen and I am SOL?

Could be the board which would be relatively minor - but more likely the screen, in which case it likely won't even be fixed at all. That said, depending on assessment cost, it will likely be well worth getting a quote to fix at least.

yes there is a picture.  it is very evident with a dark background.  watching a bball game last night with the lighter colors (light brown court, the fans were wearing yellow, etc) it was not really noticeable.  

ok both of you think its the board so if that price is minor it is likely worth it.

Board prices are usually less than a couple hundred bucks.  The only issue you may run in to is availability.  I haven't had to perform these surgeries in a while, pretty much since LED/LCD has taken over.

These are easily swapped out however.  No soldering or anything is required.  Usually just a couple cable attachments.  The hardest part is remembering what screws go where when you take the back panel off.

Defects that go across several rows / columns are often the LCD/Plasma driver chips, which are typically bonded "in-line' on the flex strip that goes from the mainboard to the display.

If that's what it is, I'm guessing there wouldn't be a replacement "board" that would fix the issue.

That said, I'm not a TV repairman, and it can't hurt to get a quote.

:)

RyanE

17 minutes ago, RyanE said:

Defects that go across several rows / columns are often the LCD/Plasma driver chips, which are typically bonded "in-line' on the flex strip that goes from the mainboard to the display.

If that's what it is, I'm guessing there wouldn't be a replacement "board" that would fix the issue.

That said, I'm not a TV repairman, and it can't hurt to get a quote.

:)

RyanE

Thanks everyone - I spoke to an authorized Panny repair shop.  They will come to my house for $86 to diagnose the problem.  Will apply that as a credit if I use them for repair.  He said it sounds like a board or maybe a scanner?  He said prices vary a lot if its a new piece, refurb piece, if they fix/rebuild the piece, etc.  May be worth it to see what's involved.  I am hoping to go home and now after about 24 hours it is magically gone.  If not, I'll get the quote done this weekend.

Agreed, I am going to have them come out.  $86 estimate is fine, hopefully a few hundred to fix and I got a few more years until I need to bite the bullet on a new display.  I wanted to re-do that room in a few years, mount the TV at that time, etc and do a bunch of work.  So wanted to pull that all off at once and not get a new TV now.

Turns out its the main board/controller.  Due to the odd size (I got a 58'') they do not have these parts laying around in their shop, so he suspects they are going to ship it out and have it fixed/rebuilt and sent back to put back in.  All said and done likely looking at like $500.  Bit the bullet and did it.  Little more than I thought but end of day I'd have to drop a few thousand to even get close to something as good so hopefully I can get another 3-5 years out of this before I need to do the 4k upgrade.

Archived