C4 Forums | Control4

Newbie Questions - license - local vs. remote access.

bjp

Apologies - I did do some searches but didn't turn up clear answers

1) If I only want to control the system via the local network IE Iphone connected to same wifi - is that possible?  IE Can I turn off any cloud/api acces and still have functionality

2) Is there a primer on how the licensing for control 4 works?  Do I need to renew license every year?  What requires licenses?

thanks

Local control is possible and is included with the purchase of a controller.  Meaning licenses are built in.

4sight is C4's remote access and that is $100 a year and provides remote access from phones, etc. also allows push/email notifications from the system. 

1 hour ago, lippavisual said:

4sight is C4's remote access and that is $100 a year and provides remote access from phones, etc. also allows push/email notifications from the system. 

And is required for Control4's own Alexa driver, and I think is still needed to use Apple Watch.

thanks all

@msgreenf - this would be new system purchase.  I keep seeing notes on licenses for devices is that different than the 4sight license?

@cyknight - so is there a doc somewhere that explains what you need licenses for and if they are one time purchases or yearly fees?

If it's all new equipment then all you need to pay annually is 4sight for remote access. The only other license that isn't included is composer he which you can buy.

Then there are 3rd party drivers most of which are a one time fee

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

'is there a doc' not really, though the info is available on C4's website, and also under your own account. Note that these days there is only one license (ComposerHE - a one time fee - for DIY programming) and one subscription which is 4Sight. Years ago there were more licenses for different functions (app use, intercom) but those are all in essence redundant (and indeed not something you can buy anymore).

Many of the features of 4sight can be accessed in other ways.  You can use a VPN connection to control the system remotely.  The Epic systems Alexa driver doesn't require 4sight.  There are other email drivers (some of which are/were free) to allow you to send emails from the system.

Archived