C4 Forums | Control4

Dimmer wiring question

I see lots of Youtube videos on how to install 3 way switches and I have read the wireless switch installation guide.

I am not an electrician, and have just enough skills to operate a screwdriver and that's about it.  I want to just wire a single dimmer and replace a switch, not a 3 way.  It has 3 wires, white, black, and copper.  Not quite sure exactly how to wire it up.  I tried what I thought was right and it didn't work.  It appears to me.  white to white, green to the ground, and the black and red have to somehow split the black wire.

So imagine that you are trying to explain to a 5 year old, could you please help?

Thanks.

11 minutes ago, sonic30101 said:

The box only has a single romex with black, white and ground? Sounds like it is a 3 way circuit and the dimmer needs to go on the other switch location that controls the light

There is no other location, just this one. 

I recommend getting a volt meter.  Hopefully you know how to use it.  Find the HOT wire (120v without the existing switch having to be on).  It most likely will be the black wire.  Flip the switch on.  If the white wire is 120v with the switch on and 0v with the switch off, thats your load wire.  From the C4 switch, connect Black to Black of the switch box (assuming it is the HOT wire), red and white twisted together and connected to the white in the switch box (assuming it is the load wire), green to ground.  Make sure the yellow wire (from c4 dimmer) is not exposed and connected to anything.  That is only used for 3+ way and I'm not going to explain that one.  If you had a neutral wire in the switch box , the white wire from the c4 dimmer would connect to the neutral at the switch box but that wire is rarely present (unless code in your jurisdiction) in a single gang switch box.  You'll most likely see it in double, triple, and quadrouple gang boxes twisted together and tucked back deep into the switch box.

I'm not sure of the electrical codes in your area but if there are a bunch of white wires twisted together and tucked in the back of the switch box, those are most likely neutral and you can connect the white wire of the C4 dimmer (neutral) to those.  The red wire from the C4 dimmer would connect to the load wire of the switch box (assuming the white wire in the switch box is the load wire).  You need to test these wires with a volt meter.  You won't really get a reading  in any case when testing for a neutral wire.  Good luck and be safe.

Archived