C4 Forums | Control4

Remote control using ATT LTE Hotspot

We have a client out in the country that has an AT&T unlimited data hotspot they use for wifi in their house. Apparently it has 15/15mbps which is way better then the DSL the local phone company offers. I know I'll need a wireless bridge for the network but my concern is the option to remote in the system to do updates and for the customer to connect using 4sight app. I've heard that because it's cellular hotspot you won't be able to have remote access. Is that true? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Zac

I don't see why the type of WAN connection should make a difference.  You could probably just plug any router into this and be good to go.  I believe there are also specific routers built to take LTE USB sticks or even just SIM cards.

In any case of how you connect mobile internet into your network,  your ISP may not give you a WAN IP address with those devices because the service will be behind a NAT.  Your router (system or network) will be unreachable over the internet in that case.  Get the customer to ask the ISP for a static IP with the service.  If not possible, some ISP's require you to have have an incorporated company an order to open up a business account in order to get mobile internet with a static IP.   A dealer remote connection should be possible at that point.

you may want to get a router that has a sim card or spend some time investigating your wifi bridge your are going to want to monitor data closely if you have data limits. but control4 wont care internet is internet

Archived