C4 Forums | Control4

C4 Zigbee Wireless motion issues

penn65000

We've had repeated issues with: (a) our several wireless motion sensors ceasing to respond (they stop working and show ? in composer and (b) have "day mode" randomly unchecking. Our Pinnacle Dealer is very good and has tried RMAing several sensors and adding zigbee repeaters and changing channels for mesh -- all while consulting C4. The motions still go off line periodically and sometimes don't return without reboot. That means getting ladder and removing battery. These should stay connected until the battery runs out! Driving us nuts. Anyone have a solution? On newest OS with EA5 controller and several HC-250s for TVs. Dealer has expanded to three meshes (we have lots of lights too-- all are supposed to act as repeaters). All motions are within a few feet of a lightswitch (albeit outside but a wood frame house). The outdoor motions are under overhangs. Wifi has already been migrated to frequencies less likely to interfere. In suburbia so no density issues. Flummoxed! 

How many total zigbee devices do you have? If your mesh is that strong you should need any repeaters nor should you require any controllers to be ZAP’s. 

Those CA motions are terribley finicky. I believe that CA recommends zigbee channel 16. 

I would remove all zigbee repeaters, turn off all ZAP’s and try channel 16 for a day or two and see what happens. 

• 1 year later...

You're on EA5 now....but when these motions were installed, what controllers were used? ie, is this a new isntall or an upgraded older one?

What motions do you actually HAVE, these's more than the old CA units....personally I hate those and would replace them with Axxess pieces instead...

6 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

If the later one, they SHOULD be fine. I'd suggest to try to work with C4 and your dealer to get one or two of the main ones replaced with the Axxess Industries ones, just to see if they work better for you.

Thanks but these sensors are outdoors and Axxess indicated theirs’ aren’t rated for any moisture. C4 are rated IP44 (splash proof). 

2 hours ago, penn65000 said:

Thanks but these sensors are outdoors and Axxess indicated theirs’ aren’t rated for any moisture. C4 are rated IP44 (splash proof). 

I would trust the Axxess Outdoors more than the C4 ones - I've had one on the outside of my garage for over 5 years....

9 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

The amount that it’s costing you in trouble bleshooting would have paid for the axxess motions.  Swap out the card access.  Never had good luck with any of their product. 

They’re warrantied and C4 techs have worked on it. I think the techs are barking up the wrong tree. We have strong mesh and they keep adding repeaters and ZAPs. Question: can the axxess motions get wet? If so I’ll ask our installer and c4 to switch for free. 

No more or less wet than the C4 ones. IP44 may as well be nothing. It's one step above an open board.

Actually, I suspect it can handle it much better.

That said I do not work for Axxess and can't speak for their warranty and rating.

As I mentioned, I've had one outside on my garage for years. Wind, rain, snow, frozen rain, ice pellets, hail... and temps below -35 (doesn't matter which scale you use) and it's going strong.

On 12/6/2018 at 10:58 PM, Cyknight said:

No more or less wet than the C4 ones. IP44 may as well be nothing. It's one step above an open board.

Actually, I suspect it can handle it much better.

That said I do not work for Axxess and can't speak for their warranty and rating.

As I mentioned, I've had one outside on my garage for years. Wind, rain, snow, frozen rain, ice pellets, hail... and temps below -35 (doesn't matter which scale you use) and it's going strong.

C4 now offers a motion with external antenna. Seems to be an admission that these motions have zigbee signal issues? Anyway thanks for the advice. C4 offering to replace all w external antenna version. 

Archived