C4 Forums | Control4

Switched outlets for lamps?

LollerAgent

Question

I'm in the process of planning electrical for a new construction and I have a rather general question about putting outlets on switches.  In the past, I have seen electricians wire one of the two plugs in a single outlet to a switch which allows for lamps and things like that to be controlled via a switch.   Is this still a thing?   My electrician tells me he doesn't really see much of this anymore.

It makes sense to me that I have some of the outlets on switches so I can control table lamps, etc from a smart switch (C4, Lutron, whatever).  Sure - I could use smart bulbs, but I don't really want to go down this path for most areas in my home.  I generally prefer lamp lighting (vs overhead) for several areas in my home, so I would prefer that some outlets are on switches. 

How do you normally go about selecting which outlets are switched?  Do you typically only switch one of the two plugs in a single outlet? 

3 answers to this question

Switched receptacles are still a thing. 

Usually you’d only switch half. Which half is kind of a personal preference. One argument I’ve heard is switch the top, so if you have a wall wart or power switch that hangs down, it can go in the bottom half and not cover the other one. 

Have him wire the whole room for switched receptacles. As long as the wiring is there, you can pick and choose which, if any you want switched and which you’d want all hot. That can always be easily changed at any point down the road as well. 

I agree it's still a thing too.  We built our house in the past two years and the bedrooms have the top half of the outlet on a switch where the bedside tables go and we have lamps plugged in that are controlled from C4.  The bottom half is always hot for plug-in of clock radio, etc.  We also have outlets on switches in the living room and dining room - both controlled via C4.  We are very happy with the design.

It's a thing partly due to electrical code in the US. Not sure about elsewhere. Code requires one switched light source and receptacles every so many feet in inhabitable rooms. If you have a room with no wall or ceiling light fixtures it is more than likely there is one switched receptacle. There is no rule, but in many places in the US the electrician will have the receptacle  turned 180 to indicate it is switched. Less likely to be flipped if they wired several receptacles on the leg to have the top plug switched. Again, no rule here, but it's common. Rarely are both top and bottom switched.

Archived