C4 Forums | Control4

Audio Using Car Audio Speakers

Hi Guys,

One of our client wants a weird solution i believe.

He has 6 parking bays with each having TV.

So if someone comes and park , he wants to see the video, but the catchy part is he wants to sit in the car and hear the audio part through the car speakers.

The cars can be the ones any of guest bring in , so it will be new to the system.

Can anyone , please put some light into this.

Each car bay can be defined as a separate room in system design. Each room having it's own TV as the video and audio end points.

Make sure to select FM modulators with 6 assignable frequencies. The modulator will be connected to the TV's audio output. So make sure the TV's have analog RCA outputs (more are dropping these output jacks now).

The Control4 controller will have IR flashers output to each TV and assigned.

For video distribution you might want to consider either a HDMI video splitter or if sharing the same cable box, DVD/BluRay player a matrix switch.

FM modulator would work, its what a lot of gym's use for their tv's for people with radios who want to listen to a specific tv.

So this would be similar. A gym near me has like 20 tv's on a wall, each with its own FM signal and range is pretty good. Keep in mind there are restrictions by city / county / state / feds in the US on power of FM antenna's and usage of the spectrum for commercial use. Check with the FCC about restrictions in your area for wattage and what frequencies can be used.

Thanks for the help guys,

Yesterday i had a meeting with client and there is slight change.Now here is what he requires :

1. The source will be a video server having about 6 movies.

2. There will be some 60 parking bays each having TV and audio through car speakers.

From each parking bay, we should be able to select any of the movies.

Do we require driver for FM modulator?

No, as described above the FM modulator plugs into the TV. Audio is output by TV (no driver required).

That is a heck of a lot of parking spots. Might be cheaper to buy a drive-in movie theater!

Control4 might not be your best solution, due to expense of remote controls and drivers stealing them! If using C4 I'd think about mini-touch screens with power over ethernet (PoE). With a table top kit and custom hangers, really strong ethernet cables it could act like a real drive-in controller/speaker!

Selecting a C4 controllable 'video server' and 60 'media players' at each TV location is your video distribution solution. Getting the audio into the car could still be FM modulator, but with that many spots independent frequencies are going to be a problem. The mini-touch screens have speakers and analog audio out, but would need to be the audio end point for digital audio stream (from media player or server).

If you land this job, make sure you work with a good Control4 dealer knowledgeable with video and audio distribution to customize your solution. There are so many more details, such as ethernet switching, load balance etc.

Yeah, big scope-change there. From 6 to 60??

I didn't even catch that.

I gotta tell you...I'm wondering what in the world this guy is doing. He wants people to be able to pull up and automatically watch a movie on a TV in this "bay" while they stay in their car?

No, as described above the FM modulator plugs into the TV. Audio is output by TV (no driver required).

That is a heck of a lot of parking spots. Might be cheaper to buy a drive-in movie theater!

Control4 might not be your best solution, due to expense of remote controls and drivers stealing them! If using C4 I'd think about mini-touch screens with power over ethernet (PoE). With a table top kit and custom hangers, really strong ethernet cables it could act like a real drive-in controller/speaker!

Selecting a C4 controllable 'video server' and a 'media player' at each TV location is your video distribution solution. Getting the audio into the car could still be FM modulator, but with that many spots independent frequencies are going to be a problem. The mini-touch screens have speakers and analog audio out, but would need to be the audio end point for digital audio stream (from media player or server).

If you land this job, make sure you work with a good Control4 dealer knowledgeable with video and audio distribution to customize your solution. There are so many more details, such as ethernet switching, load balance etc.

I do have 6:60 matrix switch I'm looking to sell....

Archived