C4 Forums | Control4

card access mini remote suggestion

Bud

I just got a couple of card access mini remotes and they seem great. Time will tell how it holds up on my keychain. The combo of a C4 door lock and this little remote is super. I tested it pulling up to the curb in a car and can have it open the door, turn on lights etc. I do have a suggestion for Card Access if anyone is listening. If it had a little beeper like the SR250 remote in it that could be signaled to sound through the system it would be awesome. I have wished for such a device on my keychain in the past and this one does so much more. I personally would be willing to buy another and pay more for it for such a feature.

They get the job done but it is not the kind of device that you rely on if it leaves it's position in the mesh then re-enters. It's a little slow. Also, button sensitivity is ridiculous. In a pants front pocket, I've triggered this thing just sitting down.

Yes the buttons are very sensitive. The ideal would be similar to a car remote where it had more resistance and had to be pressed in some before it made contact, but it would probably make it bigger. AAA batteries are convienent but how long would it last if it used a couple of lithium wafer batteries CR125s or such? How long have the batteries lasted for you?

^Agreed. Who knows what kind of thought process goes into the form factor of things like this. I've worked with every kind of engineer and I still don't know what goes through the heads of some or why certain designs slide through PPAP.

Yes, I will need to try the pocket keypad. It does sound usefull, but I have a couple of concerns. The main thing I was looking for was to open the doors and turn on the lights for entry with my Baldwin locks. So just like getting in a car. no fumbling with keys or even punching in a code on the lock with hands full etc. Also my front door lock does not have a keypad on the outside of the door.

The mini remote does a great job for me arriving and joining the zigbee mesh and controling the lock (even with it being a "sleepy" device.)

I use an android phone and could use it to open the doors but it would have to get on the wireless network first. I may need to upgrade the phone as well as my wireless network but it does not join as fast as the remote gets on the zigbee mesh. This would also require that I have the phone WIFI turned on when I drive up (typically not on to save power) and I would have to get through the password on the phone to use it (phone security becoming pretty important if it has a button to open my house.) I could be better off just punching in a code on the door lock.

Sorry if it sounds picky, but I may spend more on automation than on my car and I would like my "smart" house to work as well as the handy little remote to get in my car.

I personally think a security keyfob may work better for 'instant access but small enough'.

You can either have the security guy program relay outputs on button presses, or on the Concord, you can use a couple of the key fob buttons in Control4 programming.

RyanE

Dan, thanks for the reply I had missed the fact that it the pocket keypad app does not need to be on wifi. I am still struggling with setting up a vpn so 3G connectivity is great.

Ryan, I had not thought about a security keyfob. I need to find out which model security panel I have. I will see what they have available for a feyfob remote and that may work well.

The only catch is you need to make sure the Security Panel you're using can trigger an output, and then that needs to be wired into the Control4 system.

I don't know that all panels support that, but I would think most should.

Good luck with it.

RyanE

Dan, thanks for the reply I had missed the fact that it the pocket keypad app does not need to be on wifi. I am still struggling with setting up a vpn so 3G connectivity is great.

Ryan, I had not thought about a security keyfob. I need to find out which model security panel I have. I will see what they have available for a feyfob remote and that may work well.

Yeah, it doesn't require VPN or anything...it just works. I haven't taken the time to think through exactly how it works, but it does.

Dan' date=' thanks for the reply I had missed the fact that it the pocket keypad app does not need to be on wifi. I am still struggling with setting up a vpn so 3G connectivity is great.

Ryan, I had not thought about a security keyfob. I need to find out which model security panel I have. I will see what they have available for a feyfob remote and that may work well.[/quote']

Yeah, it doesn't require VPN or anything...it just works. I haven't taken the time to think through exactly how it works, but it does.

Great I will read through that thread to find out how to get it.

The Pocket keypad works when your away from home?

Like a champ. No setup required.

Edit: I want tl clarify that there is no setup for the external access part. You need to have your dealer install the driver, but once the driver is installed and configured (takes about 2 minutes) then it just works over your phones data plan. It's amazing they can do it yet Control4 hasn't.

The only catch is you need to make sure the Security Panel you're using can trigger an output, and then that needs to be wired into the Control4 system.

I don't know that all panels support that, but I would think most should.

Good luck with it.

RyanE

I have an NX8e. I would like to use this keyfob.:

http://www.interlogix.com/resources/intrusion/108-3451_micro_keyfob_data_sheet.pdf

I will start working on controlling it. I read from one of your other posts that the 587e interface is the best. It looks like it just provides a virtual security keypad which is exactly what I want for the touchscreens (please C4 start shipping the new IE screens as I am about to move in.) Is there any direct way to program the keyfob buttons in C4 with that panel?

I wouldn't discredit the CA MR. There are several pages of buttons and a few ways to handle those buttons making for a very flexible little unit. I have three and although it challenges my memory a bit I can control many things with just five buttons.

The key fob presses are *not* available as part of the 587E or NX8E protocols.

Your only option to use the key fob presses with that panel is to see if they can be hooked up to configurable relay outputs on the panel, which would then need to be wired as inputs into the Control4 system.

RyanE

I wouldn't discredit the CA MR. There are several pages of buttons and a few ways to handle those buttons making for a very flexible little unit. I have three and although it challenges my memory a bit I can control many things with just five buttons.

I really like the MR functionality with the buttons. It is the form factor that is less desirable. I have tried the little button deactivation switch and it is necessary. Without it I have been turning off the lights in the house with it in my pocket. Unfortunately fishing the remote out of a pocket and turning off the switch to press a button is a two handed operation. I can't help but compare it to the car remote ... easy to operate one handed still in pocket etc. This thing may work great in a purse, but for me just doesn't fit the bill as a keyfob.

The key fob presses are *not* available as part of the 587E or NX8E protocols.

Your only option to use the key fob presses with that panel is to see if they can be hooked up to configurable relay outputs on the panel, which would then need to be wired as inputs into the Control4 system.

RyanE

OK. Thanks for the reply. That will make it more difficult to do but still may be worth it. I really like the form factor of that one. Wish I could have one in zigbee directly programmable. I saw the NYCE ad mentioned in another thread. That looks promising. Only has three buttons but hopefully will have dual function (tap, double tap or press and hold) for each. I would like to control two doors, a drive gate, and garage door.

Archived