C4 Forums | Control4

Blinking lights at the end of a timer?

I have my bathroom lights programmed to turn of at the end of a 45 minute timer. If anytime during the 45 minutes the up button is pressed, the timer resets.

I was wondering what the best way was to program the lights to blink a few times before they turn off, notifying the user to hit the up button again to reset the timer?

could have it ramp down slowly.....if its a dimmer..............i believe the leds will blink when ramping .......i think

I rather it be much more obvious and have the over head lights blink. My guess is by the time they figure out the slow dim, the light will be off or nearly off.

Not sure if this is the best way, but I just did the attached... Anyone know of a better way?

I believe your method doesn't currently allow for a reset of the timer while blinking.

I would set up two timers one at 44 minutes, one at 45, then when Timer A expires, start blinking the lights with whatever means you like (something like what Brett wrote), when Timer B expires, turn off the lights. If the button is hit, reset and restart both timers.

*edit* This is assuming that hitting the button will override the current light blinking program and leave the light on. If not, you may have to use a variable and 'while' loop.

I use Godzilla's suggested method. It works well

I ramp down over 30 seconds, you quickly notice the change and the slow ramp gives plenty of time to act before you are in darkness.

I also have the LED coloured red when the light is on the timer, this standing out nicely so I know when I leave the room, the lights will turn off automatically, or if I am taking a long shower, I know to do a top button click to keep the light on permanently.

My timers are only about 3 mins based on the motion sensor, resetting on every movement sense.

I also use an additional timer which will auto turn off the lights after 1 hour of no sensing.

• 4 weeks later...
Not sure if this is the best way' date=' but I just did the attached... Anyone know of a better way?[/quote']

I believe your method doesn't currently allow for a reset of the timer while blinking.

I would set up two timers one at 44 minutes, one at 45, then when Timer A expires, start blinking the lights with whatever means you like (something like what Brett wrote), when Timer B expires, turn off the lights. If the button is hit, reset and restart both timers.

*edit* This is assuming that hitting the button will override the current light blinking program and leave the light on. If not, you may have to use a variable and 'while' loop.

This way certainly helps, but it will still keep blinking if you happen to tap before the blinking finishes.

Here's what I did:

Timer A 44 min -

* Off

* On

* Wait 5 seconds

* Off

* On

* Wait 5 seconds

* Off

* On

* Wait 5 seconds

Timer B 45 min -

* Off

If button up tapped -

* Reset Timer A & B

Any way to stop the blinking and reset if the button is hit in the middle of the Timer A expiration sequence?

I have my bathroom lights programmed to turn of at the end of a 45 minute timer. If anytime during the 45 minutes the up button is pressed, the timer resets.

I was wondering what the best way was to program the lights to blink a few times before they turn off, notifying the user to hit the up button again to reset the timer?

Instead of that, I flash the UP & DOWN LEDs on the dimmer when time is about up. I don't care to replace exotic bulbs in my fixtures due to cycling.

I have my bathroom lights programmed to turn of at the end of a 45 minute timer. If anytime during the 45 minutes the up button is pressed' date=' the timer resets.

I was wondering what the best way was to program the lights to blink a few times before they turn off, notifying the user to hit the up button again to reset the timer?[/quote']

Instead of that, I flash the UP & DOWN LEDs on the dimmer when time is about up. I don't care to replace exotic bulbs in my fixtures due to cycling.

Definitely, a valid concern, good thing I don't use expensive bulbs. :)

I'm curious, do your guests notice the flashing LEDs? That is why I want to flash the light instead, to give enough warning to guests that they actually hit the UP button before it goes out for good.

Yeah, dimmer is 1 foot from the head of someone sitting on throne. Whether or not they are sober enough to react is another story. I've had women just sit there in the dark soaking up heat from the electric toilet seat. Get two kids in there and they will wait for lights to start flashing and then sit there in the dark.

I've got a 6BT just outside the powder room and use a WHILE loop to turn one the LEDs red when someone is in there.

Yeah, dimmer is 1 foot from the head of someone sitting on throne. Whether or not they are sober enough to react is another story. I've had women just sit there in the dark soaking up heat from the electric toilet seat. Get two kids in there and they will wait for lights to start flashing and then sit there in the dark.

I've got a 6BT just outside the powder room and use a WHILE loop to turn one the LEDs red when someone is in there.

Wow, it sounds like you have a much more badass setup than I do! ;)

I think if I reduce the gap between blinks, so there won't be that awkward period where someone hits UP mid-blink. And then it will be good enough.

Thanks everyone for the tips!

In my opinion, flashing the lights instead of the dimmer is a terrible experience. Imagine the lights turn off and on, even if it's instantaneous, you can feel it to an extent where it will be uncomfortable.

If you have audio, it may be better to play an announcement. Or ramp down to a lower level, say from 100% to 70% so that a person can realize the lights have dimmed. An even better option is to use a motion/occupancy sensor.

You could instead dim the lights down to 50% and back up again over a couple second period.

As for the lights continuing to flash, as I had mentioned before, you'll likely need to create a variable that gets set to TRUE when timer A expires, then the lights "flash/dim" while that variable is true. Hitting a button during that minute resets the variable and timers and stops the flashing.

You'll likely need to create a variable that gets set to TRUE when timer A expires, then the lights "flash/dim" while that variable is true. Hitting a button during that minute resets the variable and timers and stops the flashing.

Ahh, I like this idea better, instead of the dual timers. This will allow me to put a "STOP" command in the blinking work flow, when the UP button is pressed(when Blink gets set to FALSE).

I think this will finally work how I want it! I'll post screen captures when I update my code.

Archived