C4 Forums | Control4

Starting my project...

safety1st

I finally picked up my rack yesterday (I ordered it on Feb 16th!). I started on it last night but due to my 70 mile journey every day to work starting at 6am I found a stopping point for the night. Hopefully this afternoon I can get most everything in place so I can start terminating my cables.

I will post pics ASAP. Please leave any best practices as this is my 1st rack build. The following equipment will hopefully go in today:

Xbox 360

Wii

DirecTV HR DVR

DirecTV HD

Pioneer BD

Toshiba HDDVD

Sonos ZP90 & ZP120

cable modem & netgear 3700 router

Panamax 4300pm

APC j25 (i think is the model)

HC800 x 2

I roughed in my Elite & Sony ES AVRs & Channel Vision 1420p component matrix in that order starting at the bottom last night.

Thanks in advance!

Looks good. For me, rsvp building starts out fun and quickly gets annoying. Hopefully you're more patient than me =)

The good news is, you don't need to do it very often.

My only advice right now is to make sure you have a label maker and A LOT of zip ties.

Looks good. For me, rsvp building starts out fun and quickly gets annoying. Hopefully you're more patient than me =)

The good news is, you don't need to do it very often.

My only advice right now is to make sure you have a label maker and A LOT of zip ties.

Label label label, and label some more. <--- great tip

I would grab a roll of the velcro....

I used tons of zip ties before and switched to the velcro....Way better and reusable when you screw up and forget wires, plus you can use them temporarily and hold things while mocking it up.

But with the power cords the zip ties work great.

Also, the power strip in the back that is the height of the cabinet works really nice...

Just my 2 cents..

Ty-Wraps are nice but not when you must remove them to add cabling. I would not recommend a final anchoring until everything is working and no foreseeable changes are needed which include ventilation check. Velcro is a much "greener" solution IMO. So, I agree with nawty.

I also agree with nawty on the power strip thing. Very important point. Paralleling mains with sigs is asking for problems especially with video.

The other reason Velcro is so much better than zip ties is that they don't have sharp edges.

Pulling your hand out of a zip tied bundle of wires (especially if you do it quickly, like if you get zapped) can be an experience like playing with razor wire.

RyanE

Thanks for the tips! I have zip ties but the velcro is a great idea. I keep missing the label maker on sale at work (i mean this quite literally). I've been meaning to get one but I'm an put of sight out of mind type person. I had not considered the weight of the APC unit and that is a valid point. O was placing it up top close to the network and HC800s for battery back up purposes and jot having to run so many power cables the length of the rack.. I guess it could go either way. Is it to each his own or do I not have enough of the weight in the lower part of the rack? For the record I'm not concerned with hoisting it up there, what good is my fiance if I can't make her do don't heavy lifting now and then?

Sanus makes 1U & 3U fans that are a part of their "EcoSystem" I have entertained that idea. The rack is a Sanus CFR2136. I was considering putting a 3U on the top. Any tips or ventilation best practices? I did put the 3U blanking panel between the AVRs to try to help.

Thanks for the tips! I have zip ties but the velcro is a great idea. I keep missing the label maker on sale at work (i mean this quite literally). I've been meaning to get one but I'm an put of sight out of mind type person. I had not considered the weight of the APC unit and that is a valid point. O was placing it up top close to the network and HC800s for battery back up purposes and jot having to run so many power cables the length of the rack.. I guess it could go either way. Is it to each his own or do I not have enough of the weight in the lower part of the rack? For the record I'm not concerned with hoisting it up there, what good is my fiance if I can't make her do don't heavy lifting now and then?

Sanus makes 1U & 3U fans that are a part of their "EcoSystem" I have entertained that idea. The rack is a Sanus CFR2136. I was considering putting a 3U on the top. Any tips or ventilation best practices? I did put the 3U blanking panel between the AVRs to try to help.

It's generally a good idea to put heave stuff at the bottom of the rack for obvious reason...it makes it more stable. Plus, as kevvo pointed out, holding that big bitch up there while you get it mounted is no fun.

Velcro is a great idea. I probably ended up removing 80% of my zip ties on my last build as I went along. I'd make a few runs, zip tie them, make a few more, put in new zip ties and cut the old ones off.

All these guys make good points about why velcro is better. My massive tub of zip ties is about anyways, so time to get some velcro straps.

When I rack I place the rack on its back

and set the rack mountable pieces in first and let the piece hold itself it...

My back thanks me and then I tip up the rack and continue with the other pieces.... This allows one man building....

That's a great idea. I did not mount the unit. I used a shelf instead. Mounting it by your lonesome would be terrible.

Does anyone see an issue having the HC800 directly above or below the battery back up or power conditioner? I don't know why but I feel wary of an emi or something similar.

At this point I am more or less stuck until I can order the rack mounts for my Panamax & HC800s, get wiring & tools to terminate, and intersect the DirecTV line in the attic and pull it down into the laundry room where my equipment will be housed. I will post new pics when I can get my list complete. Any more recommendations on this updated & current set up are greatly appreciated. This is where I currently stand..

• 1 month later...

slowly but surely its coming along...

no, the tv mounted with the pedestal is not permanent. it was just temp to get an idea of size. 32 is a little big for this space. i'll end up with 22-26 in the 2 kids rooms.

I love my girls but they just don"t identify with my need for toys! Our wedding is in less than 5 months and the next time the dog runs up a $500 vet bill she may be SOL...

no, the tv mounted with the pedestal is not permanent. it was just temp to get an idea of size. 32 is a little big for this space. i'll end up with 22-26 in the 2 kids rooms.

I love my girls but they just don"t identify with my need for toys! Our wedding is in less than 5 months and the next time the dog runs up a $500 vet bill she may be SOL...

Re: first picture of the bike - high center much? That is one low bike.

Bill

You might want to reconsider. I went from a 22 to a 32 and it was the right thing to do. Smaller bedroom as well...

The stand and the fact that you have a TV with a huge bezel is making it look overkill.

no' date=' the tv mounted with the pedestal is not permanent. it was just temp to get an idea of size. 32 is a little big for this space. i'll end up with 22-26 in the 2 kids rooms.

I love my girls but they just don"t identify with my need for toys! Our wedding is in less than 5 months and the next time the dog runs up a $500 vet bill she may be SOL...[/quote']

Re: first picture of the bike - high center much? That is one low bike.

Bill

The round item closest to the front tire, on the outside of the frame, is an air tank. It sits up about 5 inches from that point. It is my friends bike. he loves it and i have to admit it looks pretty ridiculous but thats what he wanted. For example, the seat is a sprocket with valve springs from a 57 chevy bel air motor for "cushion" and the WD40 is over his oil tank to give it a different look.

I got my rail mount contact in today so I'm going to get it put on and wired hopefully sooner than later. should i run 2 runs of my bulk cat6 between the controller and the garage or get something else from lowes?

Just wanted to show the 2 reasons my progress is slow. Just got the engagement pics this week and that's one of two pics I have of all three of us.

Post 12...

"I love my girls but they just don"t identify with my need for toys! Our wedding is in less than 5 months and the next time the dog runs up a $500 vet bill she may be SOL"

Just wanted to show the 2 reasons my progress is slow. Just got the engagement pics this week and that's one of two pics I have of all three of us.

Post 12...

"I love my girls but they just don"t identify with my need for toys! Our wedding is in less than 5 months and the next time the dog runs up a $500 vet bill she may be SOL"

I see...it made sense to me, until you told me it wasn't your motorcycle. Then I assumed it wasn't you in the pic as well.

Sorry...I'm a little slow =D

• 2 weeks later...

Got the tv for the spare bedroom finally. Ended up w a 26" Samsung LED for just under 200. I painted the outlet gloss black but didn't get a pic. Currently using a wireless AV I kit I received in a barter situation. Works well and hasn't been flaky yet. It has 2 component video & HDMI in on the transmitter and HDMI out on the reciever.

Archived