C4 Forums | Control4

Integrating a garage door with only a relay (SOLVED)

After finally getting around to my own install, I opened my parts box of garage door pieces,

an low and behold I find 2 relays and the 2 garage door sensors, but NO card access switch.

Must have used it on a 3 car install at some point.

A. do I swap someone a switch for a relay.

B. Have someone who knows a workaround.

HELP,

Nawty

Felt necessary to rename this post to help someone "understand this issue sooner than later"

Well, you bring-up another good point. Why does the CA kit contain two relay units for a total of four relay sets when all you really need for a two-car garage is one relay unit. Sounds wasteful. Wire is super-cheap in comparison.

Well, you bring-up another good point. Why does the CA kit contain two relay units for a total of four relay sets when all you really need for a two-car garage is one relay unit. Sounds wasteful. Wire is super-cheap in comparison.

It doesn't. His is wrong. That's the problem.

It includes one relay unit and one contact unit.

LSDave and his Canuck engineering says no. I agree with him. I always assumed most into HA would already have security systems in place but that theory has gone South on me. So, your choice is LSDave's idea or go hit-up Kevin @ Blackwire and buy his Sentrol.

( one. )....... I was hoping to check the position of the door... thus the contact switch.... I could always wire back to the HC300.. (more of a pain but I can get there....)

Am I able to hook up to the other relay on the relay I have.............I thought I needed a contact closure to check the status of the magnetic sensor.

n

( one. )....... I was hoping to check the position of the door... thus the contact switch.... I could always wire back to the HC300.. (more of a pain but I can get there....)

Am I able to hook up to the other relay on the relay I have.............I thought I needed a contact closure to check the status of the magnetic sensor.

n

If you have one door you can do this all with one relay. The relay has a BUILT IN CONTACT SWITCH. You just need a magnet. Then mount the relay in a position where it can also serve as the contact switch (which it is) and you're in business.

I just mounted my card access relay by the door and used the magnetic reed switch in it. Saves on wiring and money.

I think I would have paid more attention and quit asking questions if it had been written like...

Hey nawty, did you know, or maybe you forgot that the relay has a built in reed switch which when mounted next to a magnet that acts like a contact closure.

(Light bulb turning on above head) Holy smokes, I always saw the 'Magnet Alignment Mark' and never utilized it.

Thanks for the answers guys....

Archived