C4 Forums | Control4

7" TS where a 10.5 was.

fprefect

Anyone know of a solution to putting a 7" IE touchscreen in place of a 10.5 without tearing out the back-box, dry-walling, sanding, painting, and then cutting a new hole? Any creative folks with glass cutting skills that want to fabricate a black acrylic panel to cover the whole and hold the 7" wall box? :-)

Unbelievable that Control4 didn't come up with a solution for everyone who wanted to upgrade to newer hardware?

They did, for when it's realistic - IE, the old 3.5" MiniTouch screen has an adapter for the Infinity Edge screens and it works great.

Unbelievable that Control4 didn't come up with a solution for everyone who wanted to upgrade to newer hardware?

They did' date=' for when it's realistic - IE, the old 3.5" MiniTouch screen has an adapter for the Infinity Edge screens and it works great.[/quote']

How about the people who put a big hole in the wall, ran electricity and spent $2600 on a 10.5 touchscreen. What are they supposed to do with that big hole in the wall? It's not like you can just drywall over a live electrical outlet.

They did' date=' for when it's realistic - IE, the old 3.5" MiniTouch screen has an adapter for the Infinity Edge screens and it works great.[/quote']

I would rephrase that to say "They did, for when it's easy ."

How about the people who put a big hole in the wall, ran electricity and spent $2600 on a 10.5 touchscreen. What are they supposed to do with that big hole in the wall? It's not like you can just drywall over a live electrical outlet.

Please. Sheetrock is about the easiest home repair to make. Also, what are you saying about electricity?? You run the Romex into the new backbox just like with any other in-wall TS. Also, are you aware that even the 1G in-wall 7" switch to the newer IE 7" require a 'rock job?

Please. Sheetrock is about the easiest home repair to make. Also, what are you saying about electricity?? You run the Romex into the new backbox just like with any other in-wall TS. Also, are you aware that even the 1G in-wall 7" switch to the newer IE 7" require a 'rock job?

http://www.grandalarms.com/documentation/200-00199_Rev%20B_7inWallMountTSAdapter5_7inInfinityTS_Online.pdf

Where is the rock job you described?

10.5" is the only one requiring a romex run, the rest can be done with POE.

Removing the 10.5" requires you to remove the backbox from the stud and then some sheetrock repair, and this also requires that you use a power adapter to convert voltage.

So what exactly are you trying to say again?

You're right, I didn't bother with that ugly adapter and never will go back to 1G 7". I rocked-over the old hole and cut for the smaller box. I don't PoE if I've got a outlet nearby either.

I have the 1G 7" and I agree I would never opt for the ugly adapter if I were to go to IE. With the impending fire sale on the IE's, I'm curious what do you like about them over the 1G?

You're right, I didn't bother with that ugly adapter and never will go back to 1G 7". I rocked-over the old hole and cut for the smaller box. I don't PoE if I've got a outlet nearby either.

I wonder if there are any licensed electricians who can chime in on what is the safest install POE vs Hard Wired to a step down transformer. In my mind I have always chosen the low voltage route when available for safety reasons.

You're right' date=' I didn't bother with that ugly adapter and never will go back to 1G 7". I rocked-over the old hole and cut for the smaller box. I don't PoE if I've got a outlet nearby either.[/quote']

I have the 1G 7" and I agree I would never opt for the ugly adapter if I were to go to IE. With the impending fire sale on the IE's, I'm curious what do you like about them over the 1G?

IE utilizes a different technique for touch sense- much more responsive. Screen brightness is improved as well. 1G Table-top units are not designed properly for stability and view angle along with lack of aforementioned traits. 2G IE or whatever Ryan wants to call them is not looking like something I want due to the fact that I've already invested in 1Gs and I have doubts about the camera angle covering a room in all possible conditions.

2G IE or whatever Ryan wants to call them is not looking like something I want due to the fact that I've already invested in 1Gs and I have doubts about the camera angle covering a room in all possible conditions.

Control4 really needs to think this stuff through better. I was just down visiting a dealer friend of mine, and we were all getting a good chuckle out of this because of a phone call he got. A client with a new system (finished install in December) is BEYOND anxious to get the door station with video intercom. He has 26 IE touch panels in the house. My dealer friend has to tell this guy he needs to scrap his 26 brand new IE touch panels and buy all new ones, so he can view the camera feed from the front door. Needless to say he's dreading the call back to the guy. How do you hit a guy with news like that?

Maybe he can just convince him the door station is $30k, and then do the install while the guy is out of town? Right...

^Not according to the authority here. When I posed this argument, I was told I could replace only critical TSs necessary to get video from the front door. I cannot disagree with this but I understand your point here. It's going to be a phase-in thing at best for me. High rollers with 26 stations can do the conversion in one motion.

^Not according to the authority here. When I posed this argument, I was told I could replace only critical TSs necessary to get video from the front door. I cannot disagree with this but I understand your point here. It's going to be a phase-in thing at best for me. High rollers with 26 stations can do the conversion in one motion.

Pay $30k to get camera from the front door...and throw away the panels you just paid $30k for? I don't care who you are...that's a tough hit to take.

He could probably get $600 for the existing IE's. So he would take a loss of $400 per unit, so it's more like $10,400 plus the cost of the intercom license and door station.

Still an enormous sum, and I must say ridiculous that these existing IE's didn't have the technology built in to show intercom video (this technology is not new, it has been along for a while).

When they were drawing up the oft discussed "C4 Roadmap" this must have come under the sign "How to really screw your customer"

He could probably get $600 for the existing IE's. So he would take a loss of $400 per unit, so it's more like $10,400 plus the cost of the intercom license and door station.

Still an enormous sum, and I must say ridiculous that these existing IE's didn't have the technology built in to show intercom video (this technology is not new, it has been along for a while).

When they were drawing up the oft discussed "C4 Roadmap" this must have come under the sign "How to really screw your customer"

You think he could get $600 per unit if he was blowing out a lot of 26 units? I sure don't. You've got a limited market of people buying this stuff second hand. I would venture the guess that 26 would supply the second hand market for a full 12 month period.

Does he need to intercom from the bathroom with whoever is at the door?

I actually have a doorbell chime programmed for my bathroom so I know someone is at the front door. If I were to ever do the intercom (I wouldn't at the current price), I would definitely want one in my bathroom (obviously just one way video)!

That was the thrust of my post and, again, I don't disagree. So for me it would mean eating the cost of three recently purchased IEs plus the door station.

I actually have a doorbell chime programmed for my bathroom so I know someone is at the front door. If I were to ever do the intercom (I wouldn't at the current price)' date=' I would definitely want one in my bathroom (obviously just one way video)![/quote']

Not for me . A chime yes, security camera, do those all the time. Just a personal thing I guess.

Archived