C4 Forums | Control4

Intergration with Panasonic PV55VT30 TV

I am in the process of getting bids on installation of a Control4 system and have a question about one of the items that turned up on one of the bids. They stated that I needed to use one of my Cat6 cables to run an IR signal from the control unit over to the TV. I was assuming they meant to use the Cat6 as an extender with some sort of IR converter on each end, but I looked on the back of my Pany and there is no auxiliary IR input however there is a 232 serial port. Can anyone tell me how the control4 HC800 will communicate directly with the TV? As it stands I have 4 Cat6 cables and 1 HDMI running behind the TV over to an A/V cabinet that will house the local Denon Receiver, Apple TV, PS3, XBox 360, Wii and Control4 HC800. From there I have another 4 Cat6 cables running into our media closet in the basement that will house our network, the 8-zone amplifier and multi-tuner.

On a side note... based on my brief description of the setup, is there any reason to have more than one (if any at all) Analog Audio Cables (RCA Cable) running from the A/V cabinet next to the TV down the media closet in the basement?

Thanks in advance!

The CAT6 cable will be used to extend the infra-red output from the HC-800, so the the actual emitter can be fixed to the front of your television. The Control4 remote control has no infra-red output, so the only way for the television to recieve an infra-red command is directly from the HC-800, through that cable.

The analogue cables to the media closest will be so audio outputs from the HC-800 can connect to the amplifier in the basement. I asusme you must be using a NAS drive or other such network enabled storage for your music, and this will be streamed over the network, through the HC-800, and to the Amplifier, to feed the rest of the house.

PS Although you can use RS-232 for command of the Panasonic TV from the HC-800, in their infinite wisdom I understand Panasonic decided not to supply RS-232 commands for some of the basic functions, such as Guide (!), so I don't think many dealers use it.

i have always used the RS232 on the VT series panels. Usually a tv like that just needs a descrete on and off command when paired with an AV receiver. Depending on how long of a run you need you could just run a RS232 or if not, use one of the cat6 cables with RJ45 to DB9 adapters to use RS232.

• 1 month later...

Archived