C4 Forums | Control4

Card Access Garage Automation

Can anyone help me on a parts list for a hardwired solution? I have one HC800 currently and will be acquiring another before d day. I should be able to use the contacts and relays on these as I understand it but what else will I need?

Is it worth the savings to have it hardwired or should I just go with the Card Access package for ease? Seems like labor from my dealer will be 50-100 for the CA and currently undisclosed for the other (i assume 200ish)

You need something like: http://www.asihome.com/ASIshop/product_info.php?products_id=53

Then run a cat5 or 4 conductor security wire to the easiest side of the garage to do that. Connect up the contact, and if your garage is wired anything like ours is here, you'll have a cat3 or similar wire for the safety sensor on the garage already there and you can tie into that from that same location to go into the door opener and connect that to the HC800 relay.

At least that's how I did mine. I didn't have insulation on that side of the garage yet, so it was an easy pull and connection.

I am, in fact, on the inventory control side of our business including other things such as building maintenance, floor sweeping and overseeing products are put on display promptly and functional. Additionally I'm more knowledgeable & passionate about C4 than any other employee in our building. I'd like to see us do 1 Control4 system per month but we are a large retail space and 99.9% of our customers have never heard of this product. I work for the dealer and most things I feel comfortable doing myself but the words contact & relay mean nearly nothing to me, thus making my employer my dealer? If there is a better way to word my affiliation I will start using it.

I have a diagram I'll try to get up this afternoon for you guys to look at and critique. Our garage is a 2 bay 1 door set up.

It seems like making the hard wired connections would be just as convenient to me (Ill be paying someone to do this) vs the CA SGP10A-2-ZP package and potentially cost less. In this case is wiring also more reliable than wireless like all other things in the world?

Is there any risk to my HC800 by connecting this way?

I am, in fact, on the inventory control side of our business including other things such as building maintenance, floor sweeping and overseeing products are put on display promptly and functional. Additionally I'm more knowledgeable & passionate about C4 than any other employee in our building. I'd like to see us do 1 Control4 system per month but we are a large retail space and 99.9% of our customers have never heard of this product. I work for the dealer and most things I feel comfortable doing myself but the words contact & relay mean nearly nothing to me, thus making my employer my dealer? If there is a better way to word my affiliation I will start using it.

You're the most knowledgeable guy in the company on Control4, and you don't know how contacts and relays work? That's a little scary.

I have a diagram I'll try to get up this afternoon for you guys to look at and critique. Our garage is a 2 bay 1 door set up.

It seems like making the hard wired connections would be just as convenient to me (Ill be paying someone to do this) vs the CA SGP10A-2-ZP package and potentially cost less. In this case is wiring also more reliable than wireless like all other things in the world?

Is there any risk to my HC800 by connecting this way?

Wired is better, and there is no risk to your controller. I can't imagine why you would pay anybody to do that. Those connections are so simple to make...there are (I'm guessing) hundreds of people here (myself included) that would gladly tell you what two points you need to connect. There is probably not anything more simple to wire...

Get the Card Access kit! (I may be biased)

All kidding aside if you can get a wire from your controller to a rail mount contact and to the opener motor you can automate a garage without using our stuff. However if you have no way to get a wire from A to B than wireless is your only choice. :) Have fun

I am' date=' in fact, on the inventory control side of our business including other things such as building maintenance, floor sweeping and overseeing products are put on display promptly and functional. Additionally I'm more knowledgeable & passionate about C4 than any other employee in our building. I'd like to see us do 1 Control4 system per month but we are a large retail space and 99.9% of our customers have never heard of this product. I work for the dealer and most things I feel comfortable doing myself but the words contact & relay mean nearly nothing to me, thus making my employer my dealer? If there is a better way to word my affiliation I will start using it.[/quote']

You're the most knowledgeable guy in the company on Control4, and you don't know how contacts and relays work? That's a little scary.

Not in the company of 1000 locations but of our 1 store. Our business model is designed that our salesman are not the installer. I imagine this is different than most independent dealers but I may be mistaken and I'm sure that varies greatly. As we average close to 3 mil a month in sales from our 30k sq ft building most our our customers don't even know/care that control4 exists. We have a few systems up and running and have never had an issue. I understand what can be done and I pick up quickly on new things. I could research and learn how contacts and relays work but as the floor sweeper I have no need, I just want to know the physical connections and pieces required.

I'm on my way home to post the diagram meow...

I'm still baffled at sheer number of folks who spend on HA but exclude the security. Maybe I'm missing something here... One relay (per two doors) is all that is needed in a nerd's situation.

I turn 26 tomorrow, make sub 40k & drive 70 miles one way to work (300 in gas a month to work and back not including everywhere else) I feel I'm doing better than most ppl in my demographic to have 2 HC800s and a control4 or any HA system.

I haven't looked into integration of our security panel as my research seems to find our current SimonXT is not compatible. However, I believe I'd like to integrate our front & side door with the CA recessed sensors. The plan would be that if the home was in away or sleep mode and a door was opened the exterior lights, along with interior, would come on and start our Sonos system as a subtle alert or full blast I guess if I chose. Just some ideas I've been mulling over. Any one use something similar?

I am' date=' in fact, on the inventory control side of our business including other things such as building maintenance, floor sweeping and overseeing products are put on display promptly and functional. Additionally I'm more knowledgeable & passionate about C4 than any other employee in our building. I'd like to see us do 1 Control4 system per month but we are a large retail space and 99.9% of our customers have never heard of this product. I work for the dealer and most things I feel comfortable doing myself but the words contact & relay mean nearly nothing to me, thus making my employer my dealer? If there is a better way to word my affiliation I will start using it.[/quote']

Not in the company of 1000 locations but of our 1 store. Our business model is designed that our salesman are not the installer. I imagine this is different than most independent dealers but I may be mistaken and I'm sure that varies greatly. As we average close to 3 mil a month in sales from our 30k sq ft building most our our customers don't even know/care that control4 exists. We have a few systems up and running and have never had an issue. I understand what can be done and I pick up quickly on new things. I could research and learn how contacts and relays work but as the floor sweeper I have no need, I just want to know the physical connections and pieces required.

so how many times can use meow in a conversation?

You work at Best Buy/Magnolia I'm assuming?

I'm still baffled at sheer number of folks who spend on HA but exclude the security. Maybe I'm missing something here... One relay (per two doors) is all that is needed in a nerd's situation.

I turn 26 tomorrow' date=' make sub 40k & drive 70 miles one way to work (300 in gas a month to work and back not including everywhere else) I feel I'm doing better than most ppl in my demographic to have 2 HC800s and a control4 or any HA system.

I haven't looked into integration of our security panel as my research seems to find our current SimonXT is not compatible. However, I believe I'd like to integrate our front & side door with the CA recessed sensors. The plan would be that if the home was in away or sleep mode and a door was opened the exterior lights, along with interior, would come on and start our Sonos system as a subtle alert or full blast I guess if I chose. Just some ideas I've been mulling over. Any one use something similar?[/quote']

Happy birthday!

I do the same thing as you, in that I replicate a security system with Control4. In order to use the recessed sensors, you will need the sensor bridge. It's not going to save you any money over a security system, other than the obvious monthly monitoring costs. I don't have a security system because the police in my area won't respond unless they can verify someone is home to let them in. If I'm home to let them in, I can call them myself. I have lights flash, and loud announcements play. Loud voice saying the police are on their way. Exterior lights flash, etc...I have thought about hooking up a siren but haven't done it yet.

You're the most knowledgeable guy in the company on Control4' date=' and you don't know how contacts and relays work? That's a little scary.[/quote']

You work at Best Buy/Magnolia I'm assuming?

that was my guess as well. If that is the case you would think that an organization of that size would have all kinds of internal documents that would anwser all of his questions, or that he would have someone that he could ask that would know how to do things.

I have plenty of people I can call/email for answers but I feel as if I monopolize there time while they have paying customers who take 1st priority. plus my work email isn't accessible from home and I'd be stealing time if I was shopping on the clock and neglecting my duties. It's not that I can't ask I try not to affect the customer experience. Additionally, I have acquired 2 SR250s, an STR-DA3600, programming labor for 2 HC800s, 10 light switches & dimmers and the garage set up from our location. The HC800s and light switches as well as my rack have been acquired via the manufacturers directly. While my total set up will cost a pretty penny (to me), the store has seen literally 5% margin on 1000 in revenue. See where I'm coming from?

The following is the diagram I received internally.

hahahaha not quite...I am proud to say I'm not a card carrying member of the Computers side of Geek Squad. Our home theater guys do pretty good work in most cases but most of our installs aren't as in depth as the ones I read about here. Unfortunately most people that walk in our doors aren't looking for "high end" equipment. Although I do have a customer who we hooked up with a McIntosh MC207 and Bowers & Wilkins 802Ds along with other things not too long ago!

Just curious, does he need 2 contact sensors? Wouldn't the sensor at the door indicate that it was open or closed??? May be I'm missing the intention. Curious because I want to do the same thing. We have left the garage open all night long a few times.

Just curious, does he need 2 contact sensors? Wouldn't the sensor at the door indicate that it was open or closed??? May be I'm missing the intention. Curious because I want to do the same thing. We have left the garage open all night long a few times.

One wireless contact from Card Access actually includes two contacts (plus a built in reed switch which can be used to tel three position of a 3rd door if positioned properly). One contacts for each door.

thank you nascent. glad to know the freak squad was right on this diagram.

so do i just need 2 CA RMC10A or something similar and then make the connections per the diagram? The CA package is convenient but it sounds like ill save a few hundred bucks to put towards more items since i'm lucky enough to have attic access and vinyl siding.

This solution would allow me to see status of the garage door and open and close correct?

Any one using the CA recessed sensors and sensor bridge to monitor doors or other devices?

Archived