C4 Forums | Control4

Logging temperature

C4RVA

So I'm looking for an easy way to log the temperature from a c4 thermostat every 5 minutes. I have a data logging system set up for some other micro controller based stuff at work. Is there any way to pass a a variable to a web server via an http request?

Basically is there a way to have the controller visit a web address and append a variable to the end of the web address?

Ex: have the controller make a request like this... "http://192.168.1.150/log.asp?temp=" & control4_temp

I've written a driver (quite a while back) that lets you post arbitrary GET requests with parameters in them.

I use it to send temperatures to my webserver (which then logs them).

I've attached the driver. You'll have to find someone to add it to your project.

It allows you to specify a URL to GET, and everywhere you've put in _ParamX_ (X=1-8), it gets replaced with a Control4 variable or string that are the parameters to the Control4 command.

RyanE

• 2 weeks later...

I found the hard part (for me) was not making the Control4 side do what I want, but setting up the database table with the appropriate fields, and having those fields match the Control4 temperature values.

Good luck with your project.

RyanE

It's actually quite easy now with control4 OS 2.2. This new firmware offers SNMP. You can easily setup SNMP traps to monitor changes in temperature and record this using 3rd party SNMP software.

Yup still on 1.7.3 until a dealer wants to hire me part time and let me have access to composer pro. Got the driver working fine. Modified it little bit to fit my needs but it's quite handy. Snmp would be nice.

My next project is going to be passing commands to and from an arduino via ip.

I like the arduino (i've got an uno with lcd shield, 7 segment display board, 240v 10amp relay board). You can develop some stuff really quickly with it. The hardware is relatively cheap as well and its great for rapid prototyping. Given that communications is done mainly via TTL you can pretty much communicate to it by any means. They even have a zigbee shield (haven't played with this though). Great product for DIYers out there.

• 3 years later...
On ‎26‎/‎04‎/‎2012 at 10:01 PM, RyanE said:

I've written a driver (quite a while back) that lets you post arbitrary GET requests with parameters in them.

I use it to send temperatures to my webserver (which then logs them).

I've attached the driver. You'll have to find someone to add it to your project.

It allows you to specify a URL to GET, and everywhere you've put in _ParamX_ (X=1-8), it gets replaced with a Control4 variable or string that are the parameters to the Control4 command.

RyanE

where is the driver?

Archived