C4 Forums | Control4

new flat

Hi everyone,

I`m buying a new flat (apartment). Building is in a phase of construction. I want to predict all the cables for control 4 system. I asked a dealer for c4 and this is what he offered to me:

HC-300 Home Controller

SR-250 Universal remote controller

RS-232 485 Gateway

8x16A universal actuator

4 Motor Actuator

7" full colour touch screen

Smart Thermostat.

Is this good enough? Any more suggestions?

Can anyone give me the cable list (diagram) I need for system so I can put them before they finish the walls in apartment?

Thanks in advance!

I want to control the light, blinds, air condtioning, music... Some basic stuff, nothing too much expensive. If you can suggest some basic system it will be enough. And for actuators thats AC.

well we can give you general ideas, however without a complete scope of your project we will all be guessing. So how many lights? how many blinds? What kind are they? can they controlled via zigbee, or do they need to be controlled by relays or contacts?

More importantly do you trust your dealer? Make sure to read HIS scope of work of what will actually be controlled and how. Do not assume anything, ask them questions.

A good dealer is the most important part of getting your system, the gear is secondary.

Three to four lamps, four blinds i suppose (only in living room). What kind they have to be they ll be, I preffer the wire, not wireless. Apartment hasn˙`t been finished yet. I can choose whatever I want, blinds, lights, led. In my first post you have a schema of the apartment. My nearest dealer is 300km away from me, so all the talking was by phone and email and you can see above what specification he sent me.

I suppose that:

8x16A universal actuator - is for lights

4 Motor Actuator - is for blinds.

everything else is easy to guess the purpose.

If anyone can give some more suggestions based on the schema of the apartment I will be happy to read them and I ll need some help with wiring all the stuff.

Oh, you are wiring it. I was wondering because I thought the dealer who quoted you the equipment would be doing the wiring. I was a bit puzzled as to why you were asking as usually a homeowner wouldn't have to worry about things like that. Without knowing anything about the equipment you are installing it is hard to figure out what wiring would be required. Has the dealer you talked to not given you the necessary spec? If not would he provide a diagram to you for a fee?

From what i read it seems that you are on a budget but if possible I would spend some extra money and get and HC800 as it will provide a superior experience. The HC300 is too slow in my opinion.

For the lights I am assuming that the lighting you are putting in is wired in a standard fashion where you could use normal switches. That being true you are generally good for lighting. The dimmers, switches and keypads communicate the the home controller wirelessly and just need to be wired in properly.

The blinds I use are installed with line or low voltage going to the blind motor and a cat5 going from the blind to a control unit or relay which is connected to the controller in some fashion (either physically or wirelessly). There are many different blind manufacturers out there, I am most familiar with Mechoshade. Depending on the brand you are installing this can be different. The rs232 to 485 gateway does sound like it a mecho part though.

Unfortanately without knowing what exact requirements of your job are and without a "real" parts list, there is no way to clearly guide you.

Thank you for the answer.

First, dealer is asking too much money for wiring diagram. Second, building will be finished next year and till then I cant take the credit. When I got the credit I ll buy apartment and c4 equipment. Now I just want to predict wiring I need. Some things will be wired, some wireless of course. For this particular apartment, lets say its yours. How would you automate it with control4, I want your idea, but not too much expensive idea. Some simple system and wiring for it. i dont need security (cameras and stuff), dont need to automate the whole apartment (focus on living room), dont need home theatre, dont need a bunch of stereo system, projector... Just simple lights, blinds, some surround, air conditioning. Thanks.

Ok then the first thing you probably have to figure out is where is all the structured wiring going to go to. A Structured wiring can should be located somewhere in the apartment. This location is where all your telephone ethernet and cable wiring would be distributed to the rest of the home. This area would also be a good place for the blind controller to go as well the larger the can you can put the better just to make sure you will have space for everything.

For TV locations minimally I usually run 2 cat5 and 1 RG6. You may want to run an extra one to the living room TV for rs232 for the home controller to the blind controller.

The full color 7" touch screen interface (AKA Control4 7" in-wall touchscreen) all you need is 1 cat5 from the location that you want it to the structure wiring can. If you don't have a pre-construction box for it you can leave the wire in the wall and access it when you are cutting in the box for the touchscreen. Make sure to remember where it is. Do not put the wire in a mud ring or low voltage box as it is taller than the control4 box used to mount the screen and can be difficult to cut out.

For air conditioning talk to the HVAC contractor and ask them if the unit can be controlled with a standard thermostat. If the answer is yes you are generally looking good. The thermostats do require power however so maybe run a 4 conductor wire used for HVAC from the thermostat location to the structured wiring can to be safe in addition to the normal wiring required for a normal thermostat to function the AC. If the AC unit isn’t in the end isn't capable of being controlled with a Control4 thermostat, you can just bury the wire in the wall.

For blinds there is a bunch of different ones out there line level, low voltage, etc. You will need to talk to the person doing the blinds and ask what is needed for the wiring to power the blind and how to control them. For the systems I have put in, generally if you can get line level power to the shade motor, in addition to a CAT5 and a 16/2 running to the can you should be ok for a wide variety of solutions.

I would put in some 5.1 speaker prewire for a surround system as well. And a cat 5 from the security panel if you have one to the home controller.

This is just my opinion of what I would do (given a restricted budget). This in no way should be taken as 100% without a doubt, will work advice. Based on the lack of information about your project the opinion provided is only half baked at best. All projects have their own unique aspects that have to be looked at carefully and planned professionally to achieve success. Please consult a professional closest to your area. I am not sure how much the wiring plan would have cost you, but assuming the dealer you spoke to knows what he is doing, it may be worth it to pay the money and achieve success rather than try to wing it and possibly fail miserably. Just out of curiosity, how much was he asking for a wiring plan?

Thanks for detailed answer. I ll try to make a drawing and upload it. He asked about 300 euros and talked about some refund when you buy the equipment. I just cant plan when I ll have the money for it so I ll try this way. Thank you again.

anything special about lights and dimmers?

Nope...they just install in the place of a regular switch. No special wiring needed, assuming they're doing standard wiring (hot, neutral, ground and load).

So you are in Europe. I am unfamiliar with the products and electrical code over there. You will definately have to check with the company providing the blinds to find out what you need as far as the electrical goes.

The diagram looks ok to me. As far as the lights go, you wire as you would if you were installing normal light switches. There is nothing speacial that you need as far as wiring goes. To get the instructions on connecting the dimmers keypads or switches up, the instructions will be in the box. If they are a bulk pack then you can ask the dealer you purchase them from to give you the instructions along with basic knowledge on when to use a dimmer, switch or keypad if they are not installing them for you.

I have a question about going with an hc300 vs an hc250. My dealer is pushing me towards an hc250 and purchasing a separate remote instead of getting an hc300 that comes with a separate remote. Why is this?

250 is newer and faster then the 300.

Yes speed in both zigbee performance and processing power is the main advantage. It also has wireless networking built into it, and a hdmi output. The drawback is that is has fewer io ports. I take it that it is a small project?

Archived