C4 Forums | Control4

new flat

I find this whole discussion quite perplexing. Once upon a time, the HC-1000 was recommended here for only large projects. The 300 was good for smaller jobs. Now, the talk is do an 800 for anything? The discussed project is small wouldn't you say? Isn't the 250 remarkably better than a 300?

^ Agreed. I guess it just depends whether or not you wish you may want to expand the system later (ie be a bit "future" proof)...But why anybody would be still now offering to instal an HC300 is beyond me (when the new controllers have well and truly been announced for months now).. It also depends where you want to put the controller. The HC250 is small enough to put behind the TV...

The HC250 certainly *is* remarkably better than an HC300.

The HC250 likely does have enough horsepower to run the whole project, but as it was designed more to be a secondary controller, it lacks certain functionality... An HC800 is better than an HC250, especially as a base home controller (standalone), IMHO due to the following:

* More Audio I/O (3 audio outputs + HDMI audio)

* More Contacts/Relays and IR ports

* Dedicated RS232 ports with DB9's (not shared with IR)

* eSATA connection for user/dealer-supplied hard drive

* Faster processor

* Gigabit Ethernet (HC250 only has 100M)

* External ZigBee antenna

Because of those things, I personally would recommend the HC800 be the controller for single-controller projects. I do think the HC250 is a fantastic controller, just not quite as fantastic as the HC800, and more suited for a secondary controller.

Whether it's worth the difference in price from the HC250, that's up to the homeowner.

RyanE

P.S. The biggest issue IMHO with using the HC1000 in projects is that it was *ONLY* a master controller, and had *NO* I/O, so you needed at least one additional controller in every case. You also *ONLY* got a speed bump on running the project (Director), but not for the on-screen Navigator, since the HC1000 had no on-screen video output.

Listen to Ryan. If it was me, I'd spend the extra few dollars now and get the HC800. Sometimes a bit of an "upspend" now will save you money later. C4 is the sort of system that once you start playing with it you will want to add stuff. The extra audio zones, and speed and gigabit on the 800, would be enough for me to go with the 800... Either way you will be getting a state of the art controller. They are just out. You would regret getting an HC300..there is no HDMI for starters.. :)

But why anybody would be still now offering to instal an HC300 is beyond me (when the new controllers have well and truly been announced for months now)..

Because they're sitting on the shelf is my guess.

Not only that but the 300 is still listed within the range of controllers. Why? I have no idea and this is one more idiosyncrasy. But, as Ryan has mentioned, there is hardware for I/O and hardware for processing.

Will I ever need HC 800 for this apartment (project)? If the answer is no than I ll try my luck with HC 250.

Bigger is better in this case. I think you will probably need the IO ports and possibly the relays.

ok, I accept all of your opinions. This is just a warming up for me. The most important thing are the cables (if anyone wants to look again at the schematic Nikon and I made be free to do that). Do you have technical documentation about controller and other equipment?

i ll try, but all i see are the broschures.

Thirty include all the info. What are you looking for exactly?

If you're looking for details like processor speed, amount of RAM, etc...stop looking because you won't find it.

The only mention I've seen on CPU horsepower is the seat-of-pants stuff here like "3X faster" or "lighting quick" or "no-brainer". Personally, not really what I call intelligent/informative but ILC4 is mostly right, no hard specs for the masses.

The main reason you won't see speeds, etc. of the controllers is that their architectures differ so greatly.

First generation units (Media Controller, HTC) were (I think!) ARM7 CPUs. HC200/HC300 are ARM9, HC1000 was Intel X86, and now the HC800 is Intel Atom, and the HC250 is still some kind of ARM-based platform.

Some of these have media co-processors which do much of the media decode/encode (Rhapsody and MP3/WAV), and some have graphics acceleration as well.

The point is, straight CPU speed comparisons are not valid across architectures, and CPU speed isn't the only determining factor in speed of a Control4 controller.

RyanE

^Very true. Speed of a project will involve other modes as well. So, as a consumer, it's a safe bet that HC-800s could be spec'd for every project. All other factors, like wireless communication and networking issues must be dealt with after the fact and done onsite by the dealer. It all funnels-down to whether the consumer can live with system performance the way it is or try to make improvements. We tell folks here they should hedge and buy a 800 even before they have had a chance to try something else.

I have not seen posts (yes, I'm blind) where the project has in fact called-out a HC-1000/300 instead of an 800. In my mind, Control4 has conveniently directed attention to their top-line controller. But again, we digress here. OP just wants to know what wires to run, right?

Yes I was looking for speeds so I can compare. I am also looking about some instruction "how to put everything in operation".

Nice info for the processors.

Yes, it would be welcomed if you can talk more about wires and theri positions... :)

can someone write about wiring for garage? Can i put one motion sensor to the entrance hall of the apartment for security? you have link of the apartment in "3D" version. If you have any more suggestions about wiring from last posts please share. tnx

Archived