C4 Forums | Control4

LED/CFL replacement bulbs

hey guys,

need some help..........looking for some recommendations on 25ft ceiling using LED or CFL both dimmable ......i have 150w rated cans in the ceiling (currently using 120w halogen bulbs).

but it seems the more i look into the led's or cfl's........the more confusing it gets.............anyone have a similiar layout, that they used.........looking for bulbs only......not looking to replace cans.

thanks

i heard dimmable cfl's do not work well...........anyone using these with any success?

also i also have some 10-14 ft ceilings would you use the same LED'S for that to........or would you go with the wide beam

i heard dimmable cfl's do not work well...........anyone using these with any success?

also i also have some 10-14 ft ceilings would you use the same LED'S for that to........or would you go with the wide beam

What I did with dimable cfls was one tap full on. Double tab brought them down to 14% which was the lowest I could bring them to before they started to strobe.

These are the exact bulbs I'm getting to replace the dimable cfls I have in my kitchen.

I have installed 30 of the dimmable LED's that you listed above, 3 LED's that are more like SPOTS, and 3 round bulb LED's in several rooms in my home and have been using them for about 6 months. So far I have really liked the http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202670532/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=led+flood&storeId=10051 , I have used them to replace both 75 and 65 watt bulbs and from my experience, at 8 to 16 feet, they diffuse the light beam fairly well and have great color.

Some of the issues that I have experienced with these bulbs are;

LED bulbs require a minimum voltage to turn on the LED and there is a slight lag from the time you throw the switch to when the light comes on. The LED's I have used (3 different types) all respond in a similar way. When they are on a circuit that is controlled by an ON/OFF only switch (no dimming) there is a 1/4 to 1/2 second lag from the time you turn on the switch to the time that the lights turn on. Not a big deal, but it is noticable.

I have not been able to use these bulbs in any rooms where I wanted dimming control below 20-25%, such as theater rooms, accent lighting and dimmed evening lighting. This may be my imagination, but I have also noted that I can operate these LED's at a lower dimmed state if I first bring them on to about 25% then dim them slowly from there, although they still turn off at around 18%.

to overcome the minimum on voltage you can correct that on the properties page of the dimmer so it gives more voltage when turning on

you need to turn them on to full brightness then you can go all the way down to 5% with no issues what so ever

to overcome the minimum on voltage you can correct that on the properties page of the dimmer so it gives more voltage when turning on

you need to turn them on to full brightness then you can go all the way down to 5% with no issues what so ever

That's good to know I will play with the initial voltage setup a bit more to see if i can get them to dim more.

Thanks.

Thanks Kevin L, After changing my switch configurations, I now have set cold start at 20%, minimum ON level at 5%, and changed my maximum ON from 85% to 100%. My EcoSmart Model ECS BR40 and BR30 bulbs now will dim to 5% as Kevin L stated. I guess I will give it another shot in my theater room.

Thanks Kevin. Great info.

• 2 weeks later...

My electrician just stopped over to take measurements for installing some somfy blinds. He also brought an assortment of led lights. We installed a par 30 tcp led in the bathroom where I had previously installed the Eco smart bulb mentioned above in the thread. Whereas the Eco smart took a second to turn on, the tcp turned on instantly. The tcp also dimmed to my satisfaction. It looks like the tcp can be had for $40 at amazon so it's more expensive than the Eco smart.

tum

Archived