C4 Forums | Control4

Apple TV Mk1 mod. Largest HDD??

Main limitation is that the drive is PATA not SATA, so you need to jam a 2.5" HDD and PATA-SATA adaptor into the enclosure. I've put a 500GB in one previously. Not sure if the max file size of an Apple TV is limited by HFS+ or not, but that's a high limit if so.

if you get the sata - pata it is limited by what is sold. I even used an external 2 TB USB drive, but i didnt like the setup so I reverted to a 320GB sata drive.

I didn't even know the AppleTv Mk1 could store movies on an attached external USB drive. I've forgotten. Is this true?, and can itunes movies put on this external drive, be populated in the C4 movie library and streamed off this drive with the Ev driver??? :)

Thanks for that, but it's not about being a geek. It's about making your driver work properly with a reasonable amount of storage space

I think anything under 1GB these day's is too small to be practical. A series like Game of Thrones will soon fill up the drive :)

Dear C4programmer: Is this what you mean?..

Use the ATVFlash soft-mod and hook up a 1TB-2TB external hard drive via USB to the APPLETV and use the external as your primary hard drive as your source on the AppleTV?

If this drive can then be "seen" as the primary HDD, can the EV Driver direct movies to be streamed from this drive and populate the content in C4media?

Have the boy's at EV ever tried this? Seems a neat and easy solution (if it works) :)

Yes, I used the patch stick to make the External USB Drive the primary drive. Control4 did populate with the movies and EV driver worked with it fine and no issues. I didnt like the extra space and power supply needed in the rack so I regressed to the internal 320GB HDD without any mods. At some point I may try the internal 750GB drive with the adapter.

Archived