C4 Forums | Control4

SOMFY blind and curtain automation : ZIGBEE

dannyboy

Has anyone used somfys newish zigbee interface? general thoughts?

I found this "Glydea™ ZigBee® Plug-In Module – Cat. No. 1870221" board which plugs into their "Glydea motors" and is able to work with a somfy driver and identify to C4 directly (No control Cabling)

My specific questions are:

1.When you purchase the rod and motor, do you just buy the standard "Somfy Glydea 35 DCT Motorized Drapery Track System", where DCT is the Dry Contact Terminal model, then order the zigbee card as an option?

2.Does the DCT model work with both the IR or DC as a standard as well as a zigbee interface, or once you insert the zigbee option card, you loose the DCT and/or IR option?

3.Does anyone know if these are available in Australia, any cost ideas ( The Somfy Glydea 35 DCT appears to be about $375 motor and $225 Rod USD)?

4.Is the one motor able to support 90-250V 50/60Hz, as seen in specs, or are there different motors to support this range in each region? ie can I order from a US dealer, if AU dealers are not price competitive?

5.Is there are a better ( better definition: cheaper, equally reliable and functional and simple to deploy) alternative?

My initial requirement to test value of automating windows is:

One window in Master Bedroom with curtains.

Rod length will be approx 3.7m (12ft) and window height is 2.5m (8ft 4 inches)

Want to be able to open and close automatically based on combination of schedule (sunset and rise) and triggers (like heat differentials between inside and out) as well as on adhoc basis from keypad or TS.

sources of information include:

http://www.somfypro.com/zigbee

http://www.automatedshadestore.com/shop/avactis-images/u/glydea_2010_low_res.pdf

I'd love to automate some binds. These would need to be completely wireless, including battery powered.

As I'm sure you've found, getting good info on this is not at all easy. Most dealers seem to be in the dark as well...

No Responses - Looks like they are making a killing on this product then.

The overwhelming majority of dealers don't participate in these forums.

I'm pretty sure you can't judge the success of a product by the number of people in this forum who use it, especially since most on this forum are DIY-centered (and in some cases cost-centered, especially in this economy), and Somfy is a high-market product.

I helped Somfy set up their Control4 system at CES this past January, and the ZigBee blinds were as simple to setup as you would expect... Add the driver and identify.

That's all I remember, because it didn't give us any issues, other than their ZigBee mesh needing to be on something outside WiFi, since CES/CEDIA are *SWAMPED* with WiFi signals.

RyanE

I just bought my first motorized shade - Serena by Lutron. I expected to have it delivered some time next week. These use Radio Ra and can be integrated in to C4. I'm not going to integrate though until I add more shades later this year.

I was blown away by the lutron serena battery operated shades. According to the lutron guys these babies will operate for 3 years on standard batteries and that the honeycomb fabric insulation gives the equivalent energy savings as double glazing your windows. Unfortunately the lutron homeworks QS wireless range of products won't be available here in australia until later this year but zomg i can't wait. That and the lutron shades are by far the quietest shades / blinds i have ever seen and trust me i have seen alot. Definately worth the extra bucks.

I was blown away by the lutron serena battery operated shades. According to the lutron guys these babies will operate for 3 years on standard batteries and that the honeycomb fabric insulation gives the equivalent energy savings as double glazing your windows. Unfortunately the lutron homeworks QS wireless range of products won't be available here in australia until later this year but zomg i can't wait. That and the lutron shades are by far the quietest shades / blinds i have ever seen and trust me i have seen alot. Definately worth the extra bucks.

Will you be selling them Alan?

How do they integrate?

Does a standard C4 IR blind driver just work on any IR controlled blind? If not how do you modify to make it work?

That sounds great. Do you know if the mechanism can be added to existing binds? I have beautiful 3" slatted wooden binds. I just want to automate the lift/lower, and tilt of the blinds. Our house faces East, so in the evening the sun blasts through the back like you wouldn't believe. I want to program these 6 particular blinds in one room to open/close a certain amount of time before sunset.

Thanks in advance.

Dan - based on their website, it looks like you buy the whole blind, not just a motor. I have the same problem as you but in reverse poles. In Australia the afternoon sun is from the west.

Im still interested to know how you use the existing IR blind drivers,surely not all manufacturers use the same IR codes as C$ has just happened to program in their generic driver for blinds

I have the same problem as you but in reverse poles. In Australia the afternoon sun is from the west.

Um, water may flow in a different direction down the drain, and seasons may be reversed, and you see the southern cross while we see the north star...

But, doesn't matter where you are on earth, the sun rises in the east, and sets in the west. :)

I think Dan said his house faces east, so in the evening the back is bright ( thus the west )

I would think the driver will be specific to each manufacturer, similar to TVs or DVD players. It's best to get Radio Ra motors though, imo. This will probably be more reliable and assuming you get battery operated shades, it will be wireless. Unless you already have cable to get IR bugs over on the window shades.

Radio Ra will require a Lutron controller, however that C4 interfaces with.

Will you be selling them Alan?

How do they integrate?

Does a standard C4 IR blind driver just work on any IR controlled blind? If not how do you modify to make it work?

We are authorised lutron dealers and when the wireless versions come out we will. These are available in the US at the moment however they need to get compliance (or something like that) for australia.

Lutron Homeworks QS is fully integrated into Control4 and is certified. All homeworks QS systems require a processor to operate. As this particular blind is wireless it will also need a Hybrid repeater as well. Note that all homeworks blinds are custom made and may take a 6 to 8 week turnaround upon ordering.

C4 IR blind drivers will work with any IR blind that responds to IR frequencies that control4 outputs. Note that blinds much like HVAC units may be out of control4's IR range.

That sounds great. Do you know if the mechanism can be added to existing binds? I have beautiful 3" slatted wooden binds. I just want to automate the lift/lower, and tilt of the blinds. Our house faces East, so in the evening the sun blasts through the back like you wouldn't believe. I want to program these 6 particular blinds in one room to open/close a certain amount of time before sunset.

Thanks in advance.

Lutron's blinds are entire pieces and not individual motors and as such you will need to replace the entire fitting. i assume you mean venetian blinds. Lutron do make an amazing controllable venetian blind (Sivoia) that has multiple motors to control height and angle with accuracy to 1/16th of an inch (http://www.lutron.com/Products/ShadingSystems/SivoiaQS/WindowTreatments/VenetianBlindsTiltAlign/Pages/VenetianBlindsTiltAlign.aspx). As Lutron concentrates on the control side of its blinds it provides the most accurate controls (and quietest motors) i have ever seen. Traditional motors will only allow you to move up, down, stop with no record of positioning. Lutron's however has knowledge of its position at all time and can easily move to preset locations. It even has smart enough technology to synchronize blinds to drop at the same time/speed even if you have different blinds with different thickness material.

Dan - based on their website, it looks like you buy the whole blind, not just a motor. I have the same problem as you but in reverse poles. In Australia the afternoon sun is from the west.

Im still interested to know how you use the existing IR blind drivers,surely not all manufacturers use the same IR codes as C$ has just happened to program in their generic driver for blinds

I think the driver you see in Composer, is a "Generic Blind" driver, that gets bound a relay, and only serves the purpose of providing something for the GUI.

Lutron's blinds are entire pieces and not individual motors and as such you will need to replace the entire fitting. i assume you mean venetian blinds. Lutron do make an amazing controllable venetian blind (Sivoia) that has multiple motors to control height and angle with accuracy to 1/16th of an inch (http://www.lutron.com/Products/ShadingSystems/SivoiaQS/WindowTreatments/VenetianBlindsTiltAlign/Pages/VenetianBlindsTiltAlign.aspx). As Lutron concentrates on the control side of its blinds it provides the most accurate controls (and quietest motors) i have ever seen. Traditional motors will only allow you to move up, down, stop with no record of positioning. Lutron's however has knowledge of its position at all time and can easily move to preset locations. It even has smart enough technology to synchronize blinds to drop at the same time/speed even if you have different blinds with different thickness material.

Alan, these look like exactly what I'm looking for. After scouring the site, I do have a question. Can you get 3" wood slats? That's what I have in the rest of the house and while they don't HAVE to match room to room, it would be nice if they did.

Also, for those wireless models, what all equipment do I need to get them installed and integrated? I don't want to deal with an IR solution...I want a wireless solution (be it proprietary or zigbee, I don't care) that has full C4 integration.

I appreciate all your helpful insight on this. Like I said, it's one thing that I've had trouble getting details on in the past.

Dan - based on their website' date=' it looks like you buy the whole blind, not just a motor. I have the same problem as you but in reverse poles. In Australia the afternoon sun is from the west.

Im still interested to know how you use the existing IR blind drivers,surely not all manufacturers use the same IR codes as C$ has just happened to program in their generic driver for blinds[/quote']

I think the driver you see in Composer, is a "Generic Blind" driver, that gets bound a relay, and only serves the purpose of providing something for the GUI.

There is an IR driver that requires manual editing for IR codes

Lutron's blinds are entire pieces and not individual motors and as such you will need to replace the entire fitting. i assume you mean venetian blinds. Lutron do make an amazing controllable venetian blind (Sivoia) that has multiple motors to control height and angle with accuracy to 1/16th of an inch (http://www.lutron.com/Products/ShadingSystems/SivoiaQS/WindowTreatments/VenetianBlindsTiltAlign/Pages/VenetianBlindsTiltAlign.aspx). As Lutron concentrates on the control side of its blinds it provides the most accurate controls (and quietest motors) i have ever seen. Traditional motors will only allow you to move up' date=' down, stop with no record of positioning. Lutron's however has knowledge of its position at all time and can easily move to preset locations. It even has smart enough technology to synchronize blinds to drop at the same time/speed even if you have different blinds with different thickness material.[/quote']

Alan, these look like exactly what I'm looking for. After scouring the site, I do have a question. Can you get 3" wood slats? That's what I have in the rest of the house and while they don't HAVE to match room to room, it would be nice if they did.

Also, for those wireless models, what all equipment do I need to get them installed and integrated? I don't want to deal with an IR solution...I want a wireless solution (be it proprietary or zigbee, I don't care) that has full C4 integration.

I appreciate all your helpful insight on this. Like I said, it's one thing that I've had trouble getting details on in the past.

Not sure about 3" slats. We're still relatively new to lutron and unfortunately their range of fabrics and shades is quite daunting. Their shades Utilise proprietary rf. see my post above for specifics as to what you need for control.

Thanks Alan...it doesn't look like 3" slats are available.

The term "Lutron Homeworks QS Processor" is quite vague, and still leaves me with questions. I'm not an eBay hound, but I couldn't even find anything for sale elsewhere.

Would something like this work to control 6 or 9 QS Wireless Shades?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LUTRON-HomeWorks-H-RFP-1P-RF-Processor-/130610188801?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e68f95201#ht_500wt_1202

Each Lutron Homeworks QS processor can be used to connect to 2 links. Links can consist of QS, RF or Dimming Panel (power). QS links can talk to 500 zones (100 devices), RF links can talk to 100 zones (devices). Note you can have multiple processors in the system with a maximum of 1,500 wireless devices and 3,200 wired devices. Processors connect to each other (and to 3rd party systems) via ethernet. Hope this helps.

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/367-2017a.pdf

Dan - based on their website' date=' it looks like you buy the whole blind, not just a motor. I have the same problem as you but in reverse poles. In Australia the afternoon sun is from the west.

Im still interested to know how you use the existing IR blind drivers,surely not all manufacturers use the same IR codes as C$ has just happened to program in their generic driver for blinds[/quote']

There is an IR driver that requires manual editing for IR codes

how do you do this? It does not appear in the edit driver wizard (only AV drivers seem to appear in the wizzard) and it is a mess when you open in notepad.... Is it encrypted?

• 3 weeks later...

Update: The Lutron Serena shade arrived and is installed. It's been great so far, installed very easily, is very easy to program and is super quiet. This is my first and I have not been able to compare the sound levels with Somfy, for example, but even so I can tell its quiet.

I'll be adding more shades over time. My wife loves it too.

Archived