C4 Forums | Control4

Zigbee coverage not what I expect

Hi

I have built a free standing wall in my tv lounge that my plasma is mounted on. I am able to walk around the wall and all me equipment is nicely out of site including my HC300.

My hassle is that I have a wireless dimmer and switch mounted about 5m away, but my HC300 can't "see" them. Could the wall be interfering with the range? When I id'd them I had to move the HC300 closer. As soon as I moved it back to behind the wall, I cannot control them.

The wall is made off brick. It has a gap of 400mm on either side as well as the top. Could this really interfer that much??

Regards

Yes, brick *can* interfere that much.

It depends on what the brick is made of, and a bunch of other factors.

If that's your master controller, an HC-800 would work better, as you can extend the ZigBee antenna.

Sorry that's probably not what you want to hear.

RyanE

That's true, better than getting new hardware would first be to try a different channel on the controller.

I recommend Channel 25, which is outside Wi-Fi range, and should be a good choice.

I disagree that the CA device is a 'better shot' at fixing the problem, I think the radio in the 800 with the external antenna is better than the CA device.

Cheaper, however, certainly.

RyanE

Thanks guys for the replies

The HC300 is my main controller.

By brick I mean clay brick and mortar, plastered and painted.

I have used a CA unit before to try and that solved the problem, but unfortunately buying one now is not quite in the budget.

My Sr250 remote works perfect, doesn't that also work on Zigbee??

I would love an HC800, but that is way out my price range.

Regards

Ryan, did you get my email re' RX-V2067 IR driver??

• 6 months later...

Would an HC-250 also serve to extend the range of the ZigBee network? I live in a pre-war apt in NYC and I'm looking to extend my C4 system into the apartment below mine. I intend to hard wire a HC-250 to my existing network upstairs, but I'm concerned about ZigBee range. Will dimmers, locks and other devices require connection to the ZigBee mesh in the other apartment? Or can they form their own mesh with the HC-250 as the "base" if you will? I want it all on one system so that I can control lights, locks, TVs, intercoms between the two units as if it's one system. Wi-Fi penetration below is weak, even w/ a new 802.11ac access point. So, any thoughts on how to extend the range of the ZigBee network will be great. Is the CA extender all I'll need?

Archived