C4 Forums | Control4

C4 Thermostat issue..

Hi all,

I've just installed my C4 thermostat which works, albeit not with power stealing I think. With power stealing enabled it starts up my furnace and ac (presumably as R/RC are the 24v + for both). Anyway - it operates everything fine on battery but obviously not a long term solution.

Are there any tips or things I should try other than having a common (assuming my Lennox furnace has one) to the thermostat?

Thanks!

Alex.

Thanks. The bypass resistor didn't work so I ran a new common wire but this doesn't appear to be powering the tstat.

My furnace actually has two connectors, both with the usual RBWY etc.. One has a 'c' which I've run this wire to however the stat wires all run to an interface board which doesn't have a 'c' terminal but does have two terminals named 'output' which are connected with blue wires to the transformer. I'm suspecting these may be common terminals for tstats - the other set of terminals seems to have the condenser terminating there.

Will check out the 'output' terminals with a multimeter and see what i can find out as I suspect they are 24v + terminals which I don't want to connect to the TSC terminal on the stat I think! Any thoughts appreciated!

Thanks,

Alex.

• 2 weeks later...

Well - I ran a common and all was well in the world for a few weeks. Unfortunately one of the control boards on the furnace died. It may be a coincidence but it's possible the C4 thermostat had a part to play.

Any opinions? I'd love to have it back in but I'll need to get an idea of whether it was a likely cause of the failure!

Alex.

Opinion so far is this is most likely a coincidence given it had no problems for over a week.

Nonetheless, I'm contemplating using a separate 24vac transformer to power the stat just to be extra sure. Has anyone used this config?

Thanks,

Alex.

The furnace logic board should have a 3-5 amp fuse on it. Which should pop if there was a short circuit situation. Do you have a digital volt meter to test with? I ended up getting the common right from the transformer in the furnace. I've seen a "c" on a logic board that was a neutral for a 120v humidifier. Just check your voltages before you hook up and you should be good.

The fuse didn't blow and I did check the voltage - it showed 14vac..

As I say - probably a coincidence but am going to try using a separate transformer just to play it safe!

Only other thing is I had the tstat set to control the fan which I suspect should be controlled by the furnace so I'll try with the setting for that.

Thanks,

Alex

Archived