C4 Forums | Control4

aTV flash - silver v1 - is it worth it?

I just found out that you can upgrade your ATV1 to do 1080p. Then you can install XBMC exclusively. Apparently it works pretty well. Only drawback, is it loses its function as an apple TV. The 1080p hardware decoder is about $30 on Amazon, and it goes in place of the wifi card inside.. so you would need a wired connection. And once it has XBMC on it, you can get XBMC Eden driver from RecluseAV and have full 2 way control over the device.

I have tried to search on here but cant find much on this topic. I have an apple tv v1 and was looking at the aTV flash. What are you opinions on this? ANyone have any major pros or cons for it?

Thank you

You can already do what it offers for free. So no I don't think it's worth it.

I think ATV flash is worth it. Yes, you can do it for free...but ATV flash is cheap and does it all in 1 step. You don't lose any original functionality, you just gain more!

1 have 3 silvers running ATV flash and 1 black...it is nice...

One piece of advice, fully update the ATV before running the patch stick process

I think ATV flash is worth it. Yes, you can do it for free...but ATV flash is cheap and does it all in 1 step. You don't lose any original functionality, you just gain more!

One piece of advice, fully update the ATV before running the patch stick process

Thanks for the advice. Appreciate it.---Just out of curiosity, why do you have 4 ATV's?

aTVFlash running on an aTV Version 1 has huge advantages ...even over V2 and 3..

1/ You get to use the internal HDD. But wait, there's more...with aTVFlash, you can plug an ext USB drive into the aTV (any size) and reset it as the primary drive!!! Hey presto an aTV with 2GB capacity!

2/ there is a tried and tested EV driver with full IP control of an aTV1 running aTVFlash.

3/ you can then get apple DRM movies to populate the C4 media library :)

4// all the other benefits of aTVFlash itself!

So yes. It's well worth it.

i just updated my apple tv1 using atv flash (silver) but before using atv flash I install CrystalBuntu HD card (70015) version. If you decide to get the CrystalBuntu card, make sure it is the second generation version(70015).The atv flash has the CrystalBuntu HD updated drivers for the card as part of the jailbreak. You have to go to the Nito tv application and install the drivers after you install atv flash.

I installed XBMC Eden which is included in the jailbreak and played a few mkv files and just like magic the apple tv1 outputs a full 1080p signal. You will lose wifi as someone mentioned in an earlier post but after you see the results, losing wifi is no big deal.

I then found the XBMC HUB site and wow! There are so many XBMC addon such as NAV-X and Video+. Once you add the card and atv flash to the apple tv1, apple tv2 and 3 seems outdated. My only complaint is that the atv flash does not includes the Plex addon.

I think ATV flash is worth it. Yes' date=' you can do it for free...but ATV flash is cheap and does it all in 1 step. You don't lose any original functionality, you just gain more!

One piece of advice, fully update the ATV before running the patch stick process[/quote']

Thanks for the advice. Appreciate it.---Just out of curiosity, why do you have 4 ATV's?

Different rooms in the house...

Master

Gym

Basement

Living Room

aTVFlash running on an aTV Version 1 has huge advantages ...even over V2 and 3..

1/ You get to use the internal HDD. But wait, there's more...with aTVFlash, you can plug an ext USB drive into the aTV (any size) and reset it as the primary drive!!! Hey presto an aTV with 2GB capacity!

2/ there is a tried and tested EV driver with full IP control of an aTV1 running aTVFlash.

3/ you can then get apple DRM movies to populate the C4 media library :)

4// all the other benefits of aTVFlash itself!

So yes. It's well worth it.

If I have the EV iTunes driver would I need a separate EV driver? If so, is it necessary? My atv is hard wired and runs on wifi (not IR).

Thanks all for the responses.

Archived