C4 Forums | Control4

Keypad to validate gate code entry through Control 4

Hey guys,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I'm looking for a keypad to install outside the gate to allow entry of guests. I understand that most gate motor manufacturers have their own system with a keypad that communicates directly with the motor and opens it but C4 will have no knowledge of this event. I don't want the keypad to communicate directly with the motor but I'd rather have the keypad communicate directly with C4 and C4 validated the code and sends the signal to the motor to open the gate. This way, there's a log of this event and each code could theoretically be unique enough to activate a certain scene and could be linked with another event (like to open the gate + garage 1 and to unlock side door). I believe the Yale door locks have a similar function already and each code can be regulated to only allow access at certain times or trigger a scene. I basically need a Yale lock with keypad without the lock that can communicate through cat5. I have already run wires from the house all the way to the front gate and I was hoping someone here could suggest a way for me to accomplish this.

Thanks!

There are standalone keypads that have a relay output (or multiple relay outputs) which would work for that purpose, but they'd have to be wired somehow back to the Control4 system.

Unfortunately, I don't know models off the top of my head, and only vaguely remember our getting some keypads for a show a couple of years ago (CEDIA or CES, I can't remember which).

RyanE

Why use a keypad? I'm going down the finger scanning route.. and using the RecluseAV driver to integrate that with Control4

Any regular attendees, trades people, folk you know can have their fingers scanned in initially, then they are set to go..

Randoms can't in

Guests who show up could be let in via a video intercom arrangement from inside, or in the case when you are away, they could call you on a mobile and you can let them in remotely...

• 2 months later...

I just got off the phone with my dealer/friend about this same issue. Door king unit to allow this around $800 - includes multiple codes and phone intercom.

To achieve this I came up with a (potential) out of the box work around.

At Gate - Adjacent to my current button code entry device ( has only one code and thus why I am doing this ) Mount Control4 door station and adjacent to it a 6 button. My gate already has a card access relay and can be opened by C4.

6 button key pad could have numbers labeled on it. With some programing, certain code combo opens at certain times.

Just need to create a way to keep 6button weather proof (plastic cover or someting)

Any ideas/input?

I just got off the phone with my dealer/friend about this same issue. Door king unit to allow this around $800 - includes multiple codes and phone intercom.

To achieve this I came up with a (potential) out of the box work around.

At Gate - Adjacent to my current button code entry device ( has only one code and thus why I am doing this ) Mount Control4 door station and adjacent to it a 6 button. My gate already has a card access relay and can be opened by C4.

6 button key pad could have numbers labeled on it. With some programing, certain code combo opens at certain times.

Just need to create a way to keep 6button weather proof (plastic cover or someting)

Any ideas/input?

Not sure if you can get inside it or want to risk voiding your warranty but conformal coat is good for protecting circuit boards. Be careful when applying near connectors, mechanical buttons, and any other places that shouldn’t be coated, this stuff can leach in where it’s not wanted.

http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/protective-coatings/conformal/acrylic-conformal-coating-419c/

I would not use a control4 6 button keypad for access control or have it outdoors. Go for a security system with access control and integrate it into control4 or perhaps use biometrics and integrate it.

• 2 months later...
I would not use a control4 6 button keypad for access control or have it outdoors. Go for a security system with access control and integrate it into control4 or perhaps use biometrics and integrate it.

Would you be able to further specify what kind of security system you're talking about? My home will already have a security alarm system that will be integrated with C4 but are you suggesting I purchase a separate security system with a keypad to control the gate?

Please advise

What he is saying is you get an external water/"outside" rated keypad that is compatible with your security system. The security system *itself* might actualy have one. Then you simply use the C4driver that is controlling the security system to integrate the access then trigger the motor to open the gate...

What security system will you be using in your home?

Have you purchased it already?

My new home came with a GE Concord4 security module that i was told was compatible with C4. Is that what you're asking? I apologize but I am new to this whole thing. So I just get another keypad that is weather proof and stick that out there? Can this keypad be completely independent of the security system? (i.e. not be able to arm/disarm the alarm system?)

Ok. You are starting to get the issues...

Not familiar with the Concord or the C4Concord driver... but yes, that is the concept.

You put the exterior keypad out there and wire this to the security system. Then use the C4driver for the logic. But you have pointed out the inherent *security* risk in putting a security keypad outside the house.

Most security firms don't recommend this..because it gives the chance of theft of the code or multiple "tries" outside the monitored area..

That's why keypads are usually put *inside* the house and monitored area (and a timer is run before the alarm is set off)

So it all depends on your personal circumstances, and security risk etc..

And that's why I recommended the finger print scanner

Cheers

:)

Archived