C4 Forums | Control4

Samsung- I have never loved you more

CFUG

Money.

And a market for a "new" generation of smartphones that Samsung is reaping the benifits from.

What!?

Apple didn't create the market.

Sorry' date=' I had 2 windows mobile phones before the iPhone came out. 2 PDAs before the windows mobile phones. Portable productivity and gaming gadgets existed LONG before the iPhone/iPod Touch.

Did they create a boring grid of icons UI? Yes. That's about all they created.

Was/is the iPhone a good device? Absolutely. Did it create a market? Nope. Smartphones were coming and the market was created long before the iPhone.[/quote']

Read posts, then reread. I never said they invented smartphones. But they sure started an "new" generation of MASS consumer use smartphones, one that "everyone" is trying to become a part of.

And I'll take Japan over Singapore. Couldn't stand all the little rules and regulations there. No room for common sense when there are laws stating where you can stop to take a pebble out of your shoe (and no I don't mean "on the sidewalk, not on the main traffic road" type of rule), let alone about where you can deposit that pebble (and no I wasn't about to throw it into traffic as hard as I could - I was actually going to toss it into a garbage bin).

I worked in Japan a long time ago (1980/90) in some little back-water town called Numazu. I think I was one of two people who spoke Engrish (the other guy was my co-worker). Tall,blonde-haired people catch a lot of stares but I think the world has changed since those days.

Ryan, you brought back some scary Shanghai cab ride memories with your post :o

Yup, all those things existed... For a VERY short time, they all sucked and didn't survive. Apple was the first to intro a device that actually worked, worked well, and most importantly the general population really wanted. The previous iterations were mostly bought by people like us, geeks.

And made to the carrier's specifications. Apple was the first to listen to and treat the end users as the customer.

In some respects they still are the only ones doing this. Everyone else is still going after the carrier.

I remember having these crapy phones running Windows Mobile 5.0 or whatever. Pieces of junk. Carriers had them so locked down you'd have to flash them to just use a USB cable to transfer files. Insane. It's only been 5 years and everything has come from Apple's risky move to make a phone people would want to use.

I think Apple and Google are going to come to terms in the next few months.. that'll be great for everyone. Hope something cool comes out of it.

Archived