C4 Forums | Control4

Lockitron Support?

This video looks pretty interesting. Wondering if anyone has seen it in action or if there is anyone that will be adding a driver for this?

While they seem to have had one version out already, this new version seems like they are gearing up for their first run:

Bill

Personally, although I find the idea of a retrofit locker/unlocker interesting, I'd be concerned on a few fronts:

1) I know the 3rd-party devices do need a pretty good doorlock / latch fit to not burn batteries. Most manual deadbolts I've seen need some sort of forcing, which could give this solution issues.

2) Earliest it would be available is March, and the $200 pricetag is still pretty high, IMHO.

3) It doesn't include a keyless way to get into your house without a phone. One of the main points for putting the automated locks on my doors is for my kids, the youngest 2 of which don't have phones.

4) I don't know if their protocol will *let* you integrate with it. It looks to be a cloud-based service, which may lock the hardware to their service. If they do, I don't know if it will give you the same level of info (i.e. *who* unlocked the door, etc.)

It's certainly a cool idea, and I wish them well, as pretty much *any* automation is a good thing in my book.

RyanE

Personally, although I find the idea of a retrofit locker/unlocker interesting, I'd be concerned on a few fronts:

1) I know the 3rd-party devices do need a pretty good doorlock / latch fit to not burn batteries. Most manual deadbolts I've seen need some sort of forcing, which could give this solution issues.

2) Earliest it would be available is March, and the $200 pricetag is still pretty high, IMHO.

3) It doesn't include a keyless way to get into your house without a phone. One of the main points for putting the automated locks on my doors is for my kids, the youngest 2 of which don't have phones.

4) I don't know if their protocol will *let* you integrate with it. It looks to be a cloud-based service, which may lock the hardware to their service. If they do, I don't know if it will give you the same level of info (i.e. *who* unlocked the door, etc.)

It's certainly a cool idea, and I wish them well, as pretty much *any* automation is a good thing in my book.

RyanE

Re: It doesn't include a keyless way to get into your house without a phone.

This is not true - according to the video the key still works from the outside with no issue. The other points you make are certainly valid. I like the easy install part of this as well.

I LOVE the bluetooth walk up and get in capability.

Bill

Personally' date=' although I find the idea of a retrofit locker/unlocker interesting, I'd be concerned on a few fronts:

RyanE[/quote']

Re: It doesn't include a keyless way to get into your house without a phone.

This is not true - according to the video the key still works from the outside with no issue. The other points you make are certainly valid. I like the easy install part of this as well.

I LOVE the bluetooth walk up and get in capability.

Bill

He said there isnt another KEY-LESS(meaning no key) way to get in other than the phone. For example the kwikset and yale locks have a keypad.

Another forseeable issue is not having a tapered deadbolt. Which most powered deadbolts have.

LSDave has correctly interpreted what I mean.

I don't want to give my young kids keys because they could lose them. I don't want to give my kids phones (with bluetooth or just to be able to text to unlock), also because they could lose them, and I personally think kids should be a certain age before getting a cell phone.

The keypad is nice in that particular case.

Also, don't get me wrong, I do think the Lockitron looks cool, and if they provide an API to integrate to and have a useful feature set, I'm sure someone will write a driver.

I'm just pointing out that there are still many good reasons for wanting one of the existing deadbolt options in a Control4 system.

Thanks for the info.

RyanE

Archived