C4 Forums | Control4

Is my HC800 dead?

Happy Thanksgiving!

Came home last evening from trip overseas to find my system down (could not connect to 4Sight for a couple of days). UPS/Power Conditioner was off, not sure why.

Power cycled the UPS/Power Cond now all up, however HC800 and HC300s show only power light (no link or data). Cannot ping HC800, but able to ping HC300s and other stuff. Everything non C4 is working (internet, home hetwork, etc).

Of course, expecting a bunch of people today for dinner...any suggestions before dealer can help me?

Already power cycled devices, router, modem, switch multiple times.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks!

Thanks very much.

Ethernet port on HC800 has two lights-one blinking green (on left), one solid red (on right) as seen from back.

Ethernet switch and port working fine, I switch ports just in case and verified working.

Disconnected HC800 for 10 mins, replugged, no luck.

Thanks again.

If you scan the network from a computer with something like Advanced IP Scanner or from a phone with an app like iNet are you able to see the controller at all?

I've seen conflicts within routers before with static ip addresses as well which create problems such as this.

Check your router to confirm any potential conflicts including MAC addresses.

I am pretty sure my HC800 is not on a static IP address (could be wrong on this but don't think so). My HC300s/HC200 are. I think I asked dealer when I replaced my HC100 and he indicated not necessary.

Ran IP scanning application and had several active ports but have a few devices so not sure if any of those corresponds to the HC800. I used Putty to try to get into any of the active ports hoping the HC800 would be one, but not able to do so. I can get into the other C4 controllers fine.

I am sure there is never a good time for a system to be down but being in another continent with a failed system and coming back on a holiday and expecting a full house of people...a bit of a challenge. Sounds like I might be out of luck with the controller.

Very appreciative of the replies, any other thoughts/suggestions much appreciated.

Sadly, this won't help you much, but...I have a client with the same issue. In the morning all good, in the evening the hc800 only displays power and no link, can't be found on the network.

RMA warranty of course but that doesn't help you.

FYI the other controllers not showing link if the main controller is down is normal enough. The MAIN controller however should ALWAYS come on with a link light as it is essentially linking with itself. So no link on main controller is ... really bad.

As a side note, controllers do not NEED to be on a static (or reserved DHCP) address but if you've got myhome devices it prevents the issue where multiple directors start populating the list (all the same director but different IP addresses) which in turn can prevent the app from connecting to the controller automatically.

Just a quick follow up.

To answer my own question-YES, my HC800 died (only Power light would come on, nothing else). Was RMA'd and I am up and running again...so glad!

My rack equipment is all attached to back up power/conditioning (APC S20 unit). Our guess is that battery died when unit went thru routine testing and switched to battery temporarily. It could not switch back to power and somehow that outage affected my HC800, not sure why, as everything else was fine after this. Oh well!

The back up battery is 4 yrs old, it indicated 100% even up to 10 mins before the event, now indicates 0%. As I understand it, the value reported may not be a reliable marker of battery life and neither is calibration, which I find a bit interesting as to how is one to know when battery is getting low (I never got a message or anything). I even have the EV driver for the unit which I guess when everything went out it could not help me either.

Anyway, happy to have system back!

Archived