C4 Forums | Control4

New SpeakerPoint Update Failure

Hi All -

First, happy day after Black Friday!

My dealer and I spent (more than) a few hours working on the system today. We are stuck on a new speaker point. Dealer said it is on version 1.2.3 and we need to upgrade it to the latest. The problem is the update is failing, stuck at 0 of 24, even though it did download something.

He's going back to do some research (BB) but I figured I'd ask here to see if anyone has run into this. I saw one other posting but it seemed to suggest that the resolution was sending the unit to Control4. Any ideas? I finally have speakers in the office here and I would love to actually be able to use them.

Thanks in advance,

Will

A NEW speakerpoint would never be on 1.2.3...

However, it is not impossible that the update can take an hour or more going from there to up, and as at 1.2.3 the speaker-point will not have the needed files to feed-back info to the director, nothing may show while the update is running. This was introduced at 1.3.x

The simplest thing to do at this point is restore it to a later version (1.7.4 is the highest a speakerpoint can be restored to) and update from there.

Also, speakerpoints have a known issue with updating where they will not properly reboot at the last step - where after leaving it at that state for at least 20 minutes you can simply powercycle them and all should be good.

While you may be right, I'm fairly certain the restore stick should work on older stuff as well. It it essentially a boot device, something that is bios related, not system software related. USN restore is also far older than USB install - although this is of course all out of memory from ye days of yore

Main controllers have to be 1.3.x to do a USB install, as the whole update manager didn't even exist prior to that. (Oh how I loved updating back then.....)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All -

Best Buy was here yesterday for a few hours working on this and another issue. The latest is that the installer loaded Composer 1.2.x and loaded the project. Then he used the Upgrade option in system manager after connecting to the speakerpoint. It began the upgrade process, but failed saying that the server at upgrade.control4.com could not be reached. He also created a 1.3.x install stick, but rebooting with the USB stick in doesn't seem to do anything at all - it seems to boot normally as if nothing is there.

The installer was going to do some research, but I wanted to see if anyone here has tried to do a 1.2.x update to 1.3.x in the last while and ran into a similar issue. The next appt available was either 12/31 from 4-8PM (yeah, right) or January 4th, so I'd rather have him do this remotely if possible.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Will

PS - per my other HC-1000 issue thread, the installer was on the line with Control4 yesterday. It was a DOM failure, but a restore stick to I believe 1.7.x reset the system. Thanks to all for help/guidance on this. Happy to have the speed back no doubt.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all -

First, thanks to CYKnight for his help and consultation. Much appreciated.

I wanted to share the resolution of this issue with everyone to add to the corpus of knowledge here. Essentially, the dealer was at my house a couple days back and on the phone directly with the control4 engineers. Here were the options as they were explained:

1) Get a controller on 1.3.2, create a mini-project with just the speaker point and controller, and perform the update to 1.3.2. From there, you can use the usb drive, so go to 1.7.4 and so on. The challenge here is obviously getting a controller onto 1.3.2. The modern hc-300's and hc-1000's didn't exist back then, so you can't downgrade them. You essentially need to have an old controller hanging around. Past that, you would need to know how to downgrade, which the dealer didn't get into the details of because it wasn't an option anyway.

2) Send the items into control4. I spoke to their client service manager and he was awesome. It's about $75 for a SW serial flash, or $102 if a hardware fix is needed.

At the end of the day, I went with option 2. Frustrating of course, since the speaker points are a short term solution while I wire the house and go with an amp, but I like my music so...

Thanks again to all of you for your support, especially to CYKnight for going above and beyond.

Best,

Will

Archived