C4 Forums | Control4

Whole House AirPlay, but through amp, not AirPort/AppleTV

turls

Can't find this being discussed.

I have a Pioneer VSX-1121-K that has AirPlay functionality built in. This amp is driving one of my surround audio zones.

I want to be able to take the AirPlay functionality and make it a source for whole house audio hooked into my C4 Matrix.

I realize I'm kind of pulling double duty here, but if I commit that any time I am using AirPlay, the zone that is driven by the Pioneer amp has to be AirPlay, will this work?

Or is this going to be too clunky to program into C4 and I just need to dedicate an AirPort or AppleTV to the task?

If I do go this route, do I just take the L/R pre-out to the C4 matrix?

Thanks guys, I guess the refurb MB321LL/A has been as low as $40 or Ebay is an option, so it is probably not worth the hassle. Also, I only have one Apple TV that is dedicated to the theater room so I probably need another one of those when I eventually do whole house video. And those can be had for $80-$100. I think the Apple TV would be as hassle free as the Airport option, plus video when/if you need it. I don't think there is a lot of controlling to worry about for audio since once the iOS device connects, it should play without further intervention.

I would never use Airplay on a Pioneer receiver in a control4 system. Problem with it is when you airplay to the receiver it automatically switches to the airplay source on the main zone. So if you wanted to listen to it in any other zone and someone was in the main room watching TV, it would switch it to the airplay input on them, and the control4 system wouldn't know that it had switched unless you added extra programming.

What i've always done is taken the airport express and y adapt the output, so you have one output going into the receivers analogue in and one into the multizone amp. That way you can airplay to the whole house from an iphone or ipad.

Ok made sense until you mentioned the Y adapter. I currently have 4 AVRs, 3 of them centralized. I use the AVRs for zones that need Surround. Since I have an audio matrix I don't need to attach to AVR do I? Its just another audio source on the matrix right? So I don't need the Y adapter, right?

Archived