C4 Forums | Control4

Replacement of C4 thermostats

The C4 thermostats will not work properly with my HVAC system. I have two HVAC units each with multiple zones. One is single stage and the other is dual stage and both are variable speed. Remote sensors are used for each of the zones. All thermostats are mounted in the attic directly to the units. The system is then controlled/adjusted through C4.

Some of this is above my pay-grade, but the problem seems to be that the C4 stats will not work with variable speed systems. That is not exactly it, but suffice it to say that C4 says they won't work with my system because of an issue with the stats not communicating the variable speed portion of the system correctly.

I'd like to control the temperature through C4. I need a stat that will integrate with C4 and control a dual stage, variable speed Water Furnace GEO heat pump. Any suggestions...??

Thanks,

Douglas

I'm not an expert on HVAC either, however, in my own search for a thermostat that should work for my system (traditional gas furnace and a/c), I ended up choosing the Radio Thermostat CT80.

Their website (radiothermostat.com) has the manual which does explain wiring from stat to HVAC systems with heat pumps - now, I'm not sure if that is the same wiring to the thermostat that can handle your "water furnace GEO heat pump" - but take a look and best to confer with your HVAC installer. The CT80 has a wifi module that can interface with control4 via an extra vegetables driver and app.

One more thing, although I haven't hooked my system up yet (ETA in May 2013) because my builder is slow as molasses..., the conversations I had with the HVAC guys doing that work at my new house, says that the Variable speed fan is managed by the electronics on the furnace and NOT the thermostat itself. The thermostat is just suppost to make the contacts (call for heat or a/c) based on temp set points.

Good luck.

PS - I'm very anxious about my selection as I'm not 100% sure it will work. My HVAC guy knows nothing about control4 and my c4 dealer have never used the radio thermostat. I choose this stat because I have a Furnace that is a fully modulating (variable flame size) variable speed fan (York Affinity series); Air Conditioner (1 stage) also York Affinity series, and a humidifier. I didn't go with the C4 stat because it did not manage the whole house humidifier on my system. If anyone out there has a similar type of HVAC setup and have recommendations, I guess I still have time to change.

TIA

The CT80 doesn't work with external temp sensors either....I still can't find a stat to integrate with my dual fuel system and if I try to integrate it the carrier way, it will cost $800...something i will never back with energy savings

I thought I saw this in another thread...An alternate solution for handling external temperatures (i.e., outside of the house) would be to simply have wireless sensors outside added/integrated to the control4 platform; then use control4 to program events based on external temp events. I looked and saw some sensors from cardaccess that might be helpful. I have no idea how much it cost, but assume you'll need a dealer to add it to you system (separate from the thermostat) then do some programming based on your requirements.

http://www.cardaccess-inc.com/automation/products/index.php?a=details&i=10

Good luck - do post your solution you end up doing; would like to know if/when I decide to do something like that as well

I thought I saw this in another thread...An alternate solution for handling external temperatures (i.e., outside of the house) would be to simply have wireless sensors outside added/integrated to the control4 platform; then use control4 to program events based on external temp events. I looked and saw some sensors from cardaccess that might be helpful. I have no idea how much it cost, but assume you'll need a dealer to add it to you system (separate from the thermostat) then do some programming based on your requirements.

Good luck - do post your solution you end up doing; would like to know if/when I decide to do something like that as well

But that doesn't work to tell the thermostat to change from Forced hot air to gas....

I thought I saw this in another thread...An alternate solution for handling external temperatures (i.e.' date=' outside of the house) would be to simply have wireless sensors outside added/integrated to the control4 platform; then use control4 to program events based on external temp events. I looked and saw some sensors from cardaccess that might be helpful. I have no idea how much it cost, but assume you'll need a dealer to add it to you system (separate from the thermostat) then do some programming based on your requirements.

Good luck - do post your solution you end up doing; would like to know if/when I decide to do something like that as well[/quote']

But that doesn't work to tell the thermostat to change from Forced hot air to gas....

Perhaps I'm just not familiar with the duel fuel system you have, but my forced hot air system uses natural gas, so no "changing" that you mention applies to me.

I was saying that using an external thermostat to measure outside temperature can be used as a data point to factor in to programming that you wish to implement (i.e., logic).

I personally will mainly use the internal thermostat and humidistat to control my temperature and humidity.

From what I understand, heat pumps starts up when the 1st stage of the heating system doesn't achieve the target temperature set point in a predetermined amount of time.

The CT80 doesn't work with external temp sensors either....I still can't find a stat to integrate with my dual fuel system and if I try to integrate it the carrier way, it will cost $800...something i will never back with energy savings

Ecobee does this and looks much nicer then the radio.... While they claim to be dealer only there are plenty of places to buy the thermostat online.

The CT80 doesn't work with external temp sensors either....I still can't find a stat to integrate with my dual fuel system and if I try to integrate it the carrier way' date=' it will cost $800...something i will never back with energy savings[/quote']

Ecobee does this and looks much nicer then the radio.... While they claim to be dealer only there are plenty of places to buy the thermostat online.

Absolutely agree about the looks on the Ecobee (and Nest for that matter). Unfortunately, neither Ecobee nor Nest will integrate with Control4.

The CT80 doesn't work with external temp sensors either....I still can't find a stat to integrate with my dual fuel system and if I try to integrate it the carrier way' date=' it will cost $800...something i will never back with energy savings[/quote']

Absolutely agree about the looks on the Ecobee (and Nest for that matter). Unfortunately, neither Ecobee nor Nest will integrate with Control4.

And i know the nest 1 didn't do dual fuel, not sure about the nest 2...kinda gave up on the integration. I was looking at a honeywell wifi stat which my hvac guy said was one of the best

Eh, I'll agree that the ecobee looks better than C4 with their touchscreen, however I'm not impressed by the touchscreen's build quality. I guess Nest really ruined that for everyone.

For which model specifically, or all? I've got 4 running in residential and commercial applications and not had a single issue with quality of components.

From a technical standpoint it is the most flexible stat I've come across, can handle lots or remote sensors of varying types, and allows for a good deal of customization to the users environment. Their web interface and reports are also excellent tools. The installation is well described in the manual but I would not suggest it as a DIY for everyone unless your comfortable opening up your furnace. It wasn't difficult though as long as you read the instructions and take pictures of wire locations as a safety measure.

PLUS they recently release their API, currently in beta, something Nest hasn't done.

I just had a pair of big old 95% variable speed furnaces installed, and they seem to be working just fine off my Control4 thermostats. They just finished the job last Thursday, but the HVAC tech said that the logic board in the furnace would do the variable speed thing based on the time it's taking to reach the target temperature.

They didn't even pull a new wire to the existing stat...just used the one already in place...

• 7 months later...
I just had a pair of big old 95% variable speed furnaces installed, and they seem to be working just fine off my Control4 thermostats. They just finished the job last Thursday, but the HVAC tech said that the logic board in the furnace would do the variable speed thing based on the time it's taking to reach the target temperature.

They didn't even pull a new wire to the existing stat...just used the one already in place...

What kind did you go with. I just had a Trane XV95 and XL16i installed this week. Everything seems to be working with the C4 stat. The blower seems to stay at the same speed the entire time so I dont know if its acting the way it should or not

Archived