C4 Forums | Control4

Same cable channel in different rooms

pherward

Is there a way in composer to identify what channel I am watching on TV 1 and send that to TV 2? So when I enter the second room the TV is to the same channel. My system is setup as two floors with a main controller and a 300c for each TV. I don't want them to always mimic each other as I have DVR recordings etc. I want this only on demand.

I am looking to make this a custom button that if pressed it will then send the same channel number to the opposite TV. Looking for it to work in both directions depending on what TV I started watching first.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

Not necessarily, since you could press the buttons to set the channel, and the TV driver doesn't keep track of what channel buttons (or channel up/down) were pressed.

The only way this would work is if the TV driver was 2-way RS232 or IP, and had that info available as a variable.

I don't know of *any* TV drivers that have that available, most are only one-way drivers.

RyanE

There are a handfull of serial drivers/ip drivers but not many and certainly not for all providers.

This is where a centralized system shines - at that point you would select the same BOX to view on the second tv (this is programmable as the system can keep track of what source is played where).

There is perhaps some possibility here using media lists (ie the "favorite channels you create within C4) - but you'd have to make sure you don't select channels any other way then through there.

Is there a way in composer to identify what channel I am watching on TV 1 and send that to TV 2? So when I enter the second room the TV is to the same channel. My system is setup as two floors with a main controller and a 300c for each TV. I don't want them to always mimic each other as I have DVR recordings etc. I want this only on demand.

I am looking to make this a custom button that if pressed it will then send the same channel number to the opposite TV. Looking for it to work in both directions depending on what TV I started watching first.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

This is CLOSE to what you want - but not exactly -

Here is my setup -

I have an 8 by 8 HDMI switcher - I have Direct TV Sat 1 on input 1

Direct TV Sat 2 on input 2, Blue Ray DVD on 3, video cams on input 4

ROKU on input 5, etc

Now - I can put ANY TV on ANY input that I like - so that if I am watching something in the media room and want to watch it on the kitchen TV or living room TV or Master Bedroom TV I can simply switch to INPUT 1 and have the exact same channel I was watching.

If I want to watch something in media that is different from the kitchen then one can go to sat 2 and the others can be on sat 1 or they can watch a blue ray or roku etc.

Best of both worlds -

THE ONLY THING that is irritating about this setup is if I get up early and start watching something in Media room and my wife is in the kitchen and turns it on - it DEFAULTS to sat 1 so she does not know I am watching and switches my channel -

grrrrrr...

Otherwise - we LOVE this setup.

Bill

This is CLOSE to what you want - but not exactly -

Here is my setup -

I have an 8 by 8 HDMI switcher - I have Direct TV Sat 1 on input 1

Direct TV Sat 2 on input 2, Blue Ray DVD on 3, video cams on input 4

ROKU on input 5, etc

Now - I can put ANY TV on ANY input that I like - so that if I am watching something in the media room and want to watch it on the kitchen TV or living room TV or Master Bedroom TV I can simply switch to INPUT 1 and have the exact same channel I was watching.

If I want to watch something in media that is different from the kitchen then one can go to sat 2 and the others can be on sat 1 or they can watch a blue ray or roku etc.

Best of both worlds -

THE ONLY THING that is irritating about this setup is if I get up early and start watching something in Media room and my wife is in the kitchen and turns it on - it DEFAULTS to sat 1 so she does not know I am watching and switches my channel -

grrrrrr...

Otherwise - we LOVE this setup.

Bill

Thanks for explaining your setup. I figured the best way to do this was using a HDMI switcher. Unfortunately, I do not have a centralized system... Guess I am stuck for now.

Archived