C4 Forums | Control4

Average time to complete some basic installer tasks

Hello,

I have an installer coming tomorrow to install some items into my system. I was hoping someone could give me an idea what the average time to complete some basic tasks would be. They are charging $90 per hour, I asume that is fair.

How long to install a dimmer and program?

How long to program a kwikset door lock (already installed)

How long to program a Sony 400 disc DVD player?

How long to connect 4 pairs of speakers to a new 16 channel C4 amp and to program?

Any idea how long it should take to cutout a hole and install an in ceiling speaker if the wire is already there?

Thank you!

How long to install a dimmer and program? -- I've had some take 5 seconds.. others take 30 minutes.. Identifying or Programming? That could take hours. Zigbee update? Could be quick.. could be hours.

How long to program a kwikset door lock (already installed) -- Dont know.. I suspect there is some stuff to do with codes.. never installed one myself. Others in my company have. The seem straight forward.

How long to program a Sony 400 disc DVD player? -- Depends. All goes well 10 minutes? If that.. All goes wrong. An hour? Setting up media? Could be more..

How long to connect 4 pairs of speakers to a new 16 channel C4 amp and to program? -- Depends. I spec an hour for every piece of gear in the rack. Averages out.

Any idea how long it should take to cutout a hole and install an in ceiling speaker if the wire is already there? -- 30-min to 2+ hours a pair.. Seriously. Depends on what goes right and wrong. 30-mins for a fast, complete job with clean up.

$90/hour seems fair these days but markets vary. I know some guys who charge $150/hour.... I know others that charge $60. Really depends on the market.

Where are you come from ? Maybe we have some dealer/instaler for you in your area ?

Hello,

I have an installer coming tomorrow to install some items into my system. I was hoping someone could give me an idea what the average time to complete some basic tasks would be. They are charging $90 per hour, I asume that is fair.

How long to install a dimmer and program?

How long to program a kwikset door lock (already installed)

How long to program a Sony 400 disc DVD player?

How long to connect 4 pairs of speakers to a new 16 channel C4 amp and to program?

Any idea how long it should take to cutout a hole and install an in ceiling speaker if the wire is already there?

Thank you!

How long to install a dimmer and program? -- I've had some take 5 seconds.. others take 30 minutes.. Identifying or Programming? That could take hours. Zigbee update? Could be quick.. could be hours.

True. I've brought a handful of dimmers into a project in less than 5 mins. and spent a day and a half on a damn 2BT that just wouldn't ID. It all depends...

How big is your house? how far away of each device from the ZAP or from other zigbee device?

with zigbee radio, the more device you have the better mesh you get.

for an existing system, the identify bug is less compare to the new install system because the mesh was already built.

To minimize identify bug for a new system install in a big house, I would suggest your installer bring extra zigbee controller (hc300/200) and use them as multiple zap around the house.

For this example ( zigbee mesh extender with another controler ) my house is like 1200 feet square on the first floor plus the basement . We set one of my controler (hc200) on multiple zap and it didnt work . The zap confuse all my system ( lag , bug etc ... ) so in your project i would say try the two of way ! With a extra zap and with no ones and you will see .

How big is your house? how far away of each device from the ZAP or from other zigbee device?

with zigbee radio, the more device you have the better mesh you get.

for an existing system, the identify bug is less compare to the new install system because the mesh was already built.

To minimize identify bug for a new system install in a big house, I would suggest your installer bring extra zigbee controller (hc300/200) and use them as multiple zap around the house.

yes everythings is closed ( only the stairs to go in the basement ) . My hc-200 and my hc-300 are in the same place ( stairs cage )
^ is your first and second floor a Faraday cage?

:)

Just because everything is closed doesn't make it a Faraday cage.

A Faraday cage is setup to block static/electromagnetic fields from entering. All the doomsday preppers are all about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

Archived