C4 Forums | Control4

Media System - Dune, Roku 3 or Apple TV.

So, my buddy is moving into a new home, he has a dealer working with him, but has asked me to set-up a media system (I have one in my house).

I have:

Synology DS 1812+

6 x WD 3 TB Harddrvies

Netgear Media Players 9150s

I have already ordered the following for him:

Synolgoy DS 1812+

6 x WD 3 TB Hardrives

Just curious on the media player, I would go with a Dune HD TV303D or HD Smart B1? His dealer said neither because the interface looks like msdos, look at roku 3 or appletv.

I use the C4 interface with my Netgear and would plan the same thing, I know the interfaces of the media players themselves can look a little dated, but was confused on why he wouldn't suggest using C4's built in media solution and play directly through whichever media player we buy.

I did mine years ago (did update to the synology last year because my other NAS died), but am I missing something?

Suggestions????

Run some searches here.

For Video - Dune B1/H1 or PCH (Popcorn Hour) + MyMovies + EV My Movies Driver + Control4 - would be the desired configuration for playing ripped movies. Roku and ATV are streaming devices (as in from the cloud not from your local network) and will not work with your NAS.

For Audio - Sonos + EV Sonos driver + Control4 - would be the most robust audio solution. You could couple that with the C4 multi zone amp for a A+ configuration.

Just curious on the media player, I would go with a Dune HD TV303D or HD Smart B1? His dealer said neither because the interface looks like msdos, look at roku 3 or appletv.

Oh wow really? Interesting dealer.

DG has it nailed above here, although EV drivers and MyMovies is only if you intend to use the C4 interface for selecting movies vs using the Dune or Popcorn interfaces. I would, but that's depending on use of Tscreens, Ipads etc.

The dune interface by itself is lack luster. It's the 3rd party cover art "jukeboxes" that make it shine, such as: Yadis, Zappati, My Movies, etc. They look amazing and honestly I Yadis over the C4 cover art section, it just blows it out of the water. Check youtube for some videos of it in action. As far as the Roku and ATV, either is fine for streaming services etc, although in an IOS popular home, the obvious choice would be Apple TV.

• 1 month later...

So, been messing with the Roku/Plex and of course, doesn't work for ripped movies, but looks like a cool device/solution.

I use C4 interface with a 9150 netgear. Still a little confused, what would the same solution be with newer hardware? Dune?

OK, then how do I set up movie playback with the Roku, he has Plex installed but it looks like a very limited amount of supported files? I might be missing something because its all new to me, but I get an error when trying to play movies or it only shows a small portion of the movie (like a minute or so)?

Archived