C4 Forums | Control4

Garage control LiftMaster 8550

Hey guys,

We just built a home and they used these new LiftMaster 8550 elite series garage door openers. Now when my C4 dealers tried to integrate the garage door openers to my system, they could not because apparently these contacts at the back of the garage door openers had no polarity and could not be controlled by simple relays. I called liftmaster and they said that its a security feature of all these new garage door openers and there isn't a hardwire way to control it.

Anyone else run into this issue? Any solutions or ways around it? I already have those contacts installed for my garage to let me see If they're open or closed but I can't control them via C4.... :/

Any help would be appreciated :)

Shareez

what they/you would do is:

First: open the wall control unit of the Liftmaster, then solder 2-conductor wires at the the push button, then connect that 2-conductor wire to the back of any controller that have relay.

Second: get a contact garage door opener from CardAccess, and wire it as instruction show.

btw, i have the exact same model as your Liftmaster

Thank you cvlboy,

This might be a lot to ask but I was wondering if you know of a place where i can get diagrams to know where the connections go?

I appreciate your help! Glad to know there is still hope to integrate my garage door openers :)

I didn't refer to any source/diagram to get mine worked.

I just google and skim through how the relay and contact work, then I apply that knowledge to the garage opener.

I can post photo when I get a chance, if that help just let me know.

What's the point of integrating this specific opener? I've got the same one and I can't see a logical reason to go through this trouble or spend the money... The only reason I ever saw to so this was invade I forgot to close it, which you can't do with unit thanks to its timer.

That would be great if you could post a picture! Thanks! :)

hmm.. photos can't be uploaded.

An error was encountered

Error: Unable to move file from: /tmp/phpiNjJuE to /home/cfourfor/c4forums.com/html/files/5d49a897b3c34292424b169bfa73a8ae/81f84a7769b89b393703c944de0708ee.attach.

Interesting...my dealer was mentioning to me how I shouldn't get some of these "fancier" garage openers (if I had the choice).

I don't mean to hijack this specific thread regarding the Liftmaster 8550; however, since I have a choice in selecting what would be the best (easiest to integrate to Control4) garage door openers...what do you guys suggest? I.e., ones that have the straight forward basic functions that would allow the control4 relays to tap into the openers. Its mentioned above about "no polarity" causing the inability to use relays - so what models specifically should I insist my builder to get knowing that I'll hook them up to Control4?

Thanks

I'd really weigh the benefit of integrating the doors. When you look at the 8550 and what features are built into it for the cost its hard to justify not going that route. Built in batter back-up, and self closing timer.

I don't see where a timer to close feature is a substitute for C4 integration. Many times we leave the garage door open while we are using the yard. Maybe it is smarter than I give it credit for, but just a set timer to close is pretty "dumb" for a smarthome. To each his own I guess.

And its got its own internet gateway where I assume you could do something basic like open it remotely for a delivery or if someone needs access to just your garage.. But then you've got incompatible kit, something else to troubleshoot, etc.

I guess for me I never leave my door open when unattended. I live in a nice area but an open invites folks to come in, look, and take. I've seen neighborseave doors open while in the back yard only to see something stolen.

Security is always a top priority.

I have been looking a similar opener for my new home. But I am getting the 8500 wall mount. I was going to integrate it to my Control 4 system then I saw the free app offered by LiftMaster. Don't see a point is spending the extra money for 2 garage door systems when they come with the opener. The only thing is I can't have it turn inside light on when the door open without some sort of sensor.

There's an app, but you have to buy the gateway don't you? And it only comes with one opener from the reviews I read. I understand the appeal of a less expensive solution, but it definitely isn't apples to apples in capability vs. CA. I guess CA only comes with one remote also.

The opener I am getting come with the gateway, so there is no extra cost after the purchase of the opener. Just the sensors to let control 4 see if the door is open or closed. And it is able to be used on the iphone or ipad, which is what I need.

Off the main subject, but I have never seen the big deal about the batteries in garage door openers. Yet another battery to have to replace, and I don't see the reason for that device to really need to be on batteries.

Off the main subject, but I have never seen the big deal about the batteries in garage door openers. Yet another battery to have to replace, and I don't see the reason for that device to really need to be on batteries.

I guess if you have a backup generator the battery is of no use. However if you don't have a generator it allows you to still open your garage door and easily get into your home.

I understand what it does. I'm saying how many times in the 3-4 years of the life of that battery is that going to get used, generator or not? I understand offering it, but it seems like it has become a highly hyped checklist item on garage door openers. I guess they are pretty boring tech.

I understand what it does. I'm saying how many times in the 3-4 years of the life of that battery is that going to get used, generator or not? I understand offering it, but it seems like it has become a highly hyped checklist item on garage door openers. I guess they are pretty boring tech.

Same could be said for emergency generators... Spend 10k for something that might get used once in 10 years all because we are sissies and can't be without out tech toys or live with some cold or heat...

Personally the more I think about all of this stuff the more I start to hate it because this tech is one of the many causes of our societies downward spiral. Automate everything because we are too lazy to do it... Wait it helps save energy because it turns out lights off. Of course the energy saved is surpassed by the energy to design and build the "energy saving" devices.

This forum and C4 really are giving me an education and an awakening. I would like to thank both for opening my eyes.

Sorry for the rant

Thanks to CVLBOY for the great idea. I used a wireless switch from liftmaster (855LM) and soldered wires on each side of the push button and was able to trigger the switch with the relay. I used a wireless switch because I had a Cat6 run in the ceiling of the garage and not close to the wall switch. I have a card access garage door sensor also and this is now completely integrated into my system. The switch cost 28 dollars and the battery, per liftmaster, will last several years. The whole point of integration is to have one system and not mutiple systems. I thought about the wireless gateway from litmaster also, but this is a much nicer solution.

Same could be said for emergency generators... Spend 10k for something that might get used once in 10 years all because we are sissies and can't be without out tech toys or live with some cold or heat...

It's all how you use it. I have a few clients on emergency generators that activate at least once a week. Oh sure no-one in the slums of Rio would complain about such a thing, but still...

But I can't say I disagree completely with the sentiment.

• 3 weeks later...

most newer garage door openers operate on a 2 wire bus system which is why they do not like it when you just try to short the two terminals together. On my garage door I have the same serial bus issue so I bought an older visor clip remote and soldered 2 wires to the back of the button and then you can run these into either the relay on an 800 or a Card Access relay. This way the garage door gets the rolling codes it expects.

Genie and Overhead Door are owned by the same company and I know they make a dry contact interface for their new openers (Genie part 38013R) To my knowledge Chamberlain, LiftMaster and Clicker who are all owned by Chamberlain group do not have an automation interface that I am aware of so modifying a remote works great.

Here is my modified remote that took me about 5 minutes to pull apart and solder leads to.

20130429_101837_zps85c25b2a.jpg

20130429_101952_zpsc6631919.jpg

20130429_102014_zpsda57070c.jpg

Archived