C4 Forums | Control4

Hunter Douglas Platinum Control Technology

zaphod

I just got some new blinds in my kitchen that use this HD Platinum Control. I have a Wireless Wall Switch, a remote and an RF adapter. I do not have a C4 controller in or near this room. Any ideas on what is the best way to control these blinds?

Should I use the RF Adapter in conjunction with a C4 wireless outlet switch? This adapter just plugs into a regular AC outlet and the docs say:

The Hunter Douglas Platinum™ RF Adapter can be used to automatically operate

a group of Hunter Douglas motorized window coverings. It uses current-sensing

technology to detect power at a standard electrical outlet, closing the window

covering(s) when power is turned off and opening them when power is turned on.

The RF adapter can be used with standard lamp timers, switched outlets, or any

automation system that can control power to a standard outlet.

Or is there a better way to control this like using an IR blaster or even a CardAccess Contact Relay? If the latter then how do I wire up the CardAccess unit to the blind motor?

FYI the RF adapter looks like this:

RF-Adapter-Switched1.JPG

Is the Platinum Bridge the Platinum App Bridge which is a small unit that plugs into your LAN? So I assume that this allows IP control which is usually down using a smartphone app but C4 can also control it? Why does this add up? How much is the driver plus the bridge?

Any downside to my suggestion of the adapter and the C4 Outlet switch - I would have to buy the outlet switch anyhow so isn't that about $150 or so alone?

The Platinum bridge sells for around $250 from Hunter Douglas that would allow IP control from an iOS device. The driver would then need to be purchased through your dealer. Which would cost more then the Platinum bridge. The solution is much better then messing with RF remotes as it gives full control of the window covering allowing you to set the exact position of the shade. It really depends on how many shades you have and if you only need to open and close. You might also need some repeaters for the Platinum Bridge but that would depend on location of the Bridge and the Shades.

@THEORY - You are saying that the driver would be more than $250? Maybe I should just go the route of the C4 outlet switch since I only have two blinds in the kitchen and I will generally want them to be going up and down at the same time. I should be able to do that with the RF extender and the outlet switch.

By the way I have HD Honeycomb blinds in my bedroom that have older technology that isn't the Platinum system. Is it possible to retrofit these?

Lo and behold tonight I notice that there is something I don't recognize plugged into my router - it is the HD Platinum bridge. I wasn't home when the installation was done and no one mentioned this. I installed the app on my iPhone and initialized the blinds. So I guess I just need the C4 driver.

You can't have older shades serviced and update the motor to the new ones.

If you weren't sold the RF Adapter, the wall switch and the remote you could have saved a good deal of money. Maybe the remote I'd keep on hand as backup.

Anyways you would need to purchase the driver still, and sounds like you have everything else you need.

Archived