C4 Forums | Control4

When mute is engaged, turn closed captioning on (DirecTV)

turls

Is there any way to trigger captioning to turn on when mute is engaged (and vice versa)? In my particular case, I want the captioning to come from the DirecTV receiver (which overlays it with various options). However, the only caption command I can find is a room command and I doubt that is what I need to use. I have both the EV and the C4 DirecTV drivers in my project and can't find anything that will do it.

Forgot to mention, another reason the room option didn't seem like a good match is that I have 2 DirecTV receivers in this room because I use a PoP setup during sporting events for example. I only want captions on the DirecTV receiver that isn't the current audio source in the room.

If this works and it turns on captioning on both receivers, that isn't really what I'm looking for and then I'm back to wondering why that is a room control instead of an individual device option.

In your scenario (I'm assuming you use C4 to get the other audio source) it won't work at all as the room command would just be sent to the current device. If you use a different method to get sound (I dunno a boombox? ;)) and the DirectTV is still the current source as far as C4 is concerned it will (provided the box HAS a proper cc code and it's put in the driver) as it would only send it to THAT box.

That said, depending on the driver, you may be able to use the option "device specific commands" under programming to send the cc code to each specific box as required. If the driver has the cc code in it at all, it should show up under there.

That said, depending on the driver, you may be able to use the option "device specific commands" under programming to send the cc code to each specific box as required. If the driver has the cc code in it at all, it should show up under there.

That's what I do.

I don't know their boxes so I don't know If it's even a available command (I've dealt with a few boxes where this can only be done via a menu), if it does, the driver should indeed be edited to include the code. If it's a simple IR driver it should be minor, I'll check the C4 driver and see if I can drop a line to EV and ask as well.

Doesn't look like this (room captioning command) works with DirecTV anyway, can anyone confirm?

Guess you could program a macro to go into the menu and enable, yuck.

EDIT: a less robust but simpler macro that would work only when there is programming showing would be to use the yellow button. I may try that.

Archived