C4 Forums | Control4

FollowMe Find My iPhone Geofence Driver

phileaton

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

I have the frequency while at a location set to 300 seconds which saves battery life with the trade off of taking a bit longer to fire when leaving a location.

Wife having battery issues even though I've tweaked about as much as I dare.

So if I set "frequency while at location" too high, and my wife leaves right after an interval, will anything make it trigger before that interval expires?  Or will it basically be acting like it is still at the location until the next update?  It only takes her 5-7 minutes to get home, so you see my issue I'm sure.

Where I'm at now is checking battery and if it gets below a certain threshold I bump up the "frequency while at location" to an amount that likely makes the driver worthless for events that I want to trigger at home arrival.  Its that or continue killing the phone, so I pick the least of two evils.  It is only going to update the battery status no more often than the "frequency while at location" interval right?  Me programming an event when battery level changes won't make it poll more often will it?

If it matters, I always use smart polling.

Wife having battery issues even though I've tweaked about as much as I dare.

So if I set "frequency while at location" too high, and my wife leaves right after an interval, will anything make it trigger before that interval expires?  Or will it basically be acting like it is still at the location until the next update?  It only takes her 5-7 minutes to get home, so you see my issue I'm sure.

Where I'm at now is checking battery and if it gets below a certain threshold I bump up the "frequency while at location" to an amount that likely makes the driver worthless for events that I want to trigger at home arrival.  Its that or continue killing the phone, so I pick the least of two evils.  It is only going to update the battery status no more often than the "frequency while at location" interval right?  Me programming an event when battery level changes won't make it poll more often will it?

If it matters, I always use smart polling.

Message sent.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like upgrading to iOS 8 may cause a problem with the driver. I am looking into it further. If anyone else has upgraded I would be interested to hear if the driver is still working for you. If you haven't upgraded yet, you may want to hold off for now. 

It looks like upgrading to iOS 8 may cause a problem with the driver.

What specifically is an issue, is it more than a delay referenced in another thread?  I see that it is firing events when it is supposed to, updating regularly, etc.

After replacing a phone on my account with an iphone 6 the driver stopped working. I thought this may be due to iOS8. However, after I investigated further, after the upgrade I had two devices in the account with the same name. I removed the old phone and now all is working again. I'll continue testing, but it looks like ios 8 is probably safe.

Yes 

Like I said all that has changed is the operating system IOS8 nothing else.

All working fine till upgrade.

Had no issues with the install of IOS8 .

Checked ICLOUD same phone, same everything, no duplicates ( can't see how there could be anyway ...... frustrating )

iCloud Find My Phone works great but driver does not see it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have it opening my gate, garage door and disarming alarm etc

I did have it playing an announcement to warn my daughter to move her car out of my garage spot that didn't go down to well after a few days.

I was wondering when someone was going to complain, with the new update and driver, there are huge delays.

Neil, Are you referring to the EV driver? There was a problem with the initial patch we released to address the delays after a small change in the iCloud API. A new patch was pushed late last week via auto update. It is version 7.0.3 for EV.  

I have it do the following:

If a device leaves, but somebody else is still home: Arm the alarm in stay mode, make sure the garage door is shut. 

If all devices are gone: Turn off the AC units, arm alarm in away mode, turn off all the lights and televisions, make sure the garage door is shut.

When either device leaves work: Turn the air conditioner/heater back on in auto mode so the temperature has time to adjust during the drive home.

When a device arrives home: Turn the air on again. I do this in case we left, but didn't go to work so the air still comes back on. Turn on the front yard lights and, garage entry way lights, and living room lights if it is after dark. Set a 15 min delay to arm the alarm in stay mode in case we forget to do it. I do not disarm the alarm or open the garage door with the driver. 

I also have a variable called "Guest Mode" which I can toggle when we have family visiting. When this is on I do not turn off the AC,  I arm the alarm in stay mode instead of away and I do not turn off all the lights. 

Archived