C4 Forums | Control4

Quick question about timers

Tokead

I want some lights to come on when amotion detectors sense motion, as a night light, and turn off after a couple of minutes. Do I need a timer for each light I want to turn on when it's triggered by a sensor, or can I use a single timer - called motion - and use it in several programming lines? i.e can it be used for multiple triggers at the same time or one timer per trigger?

The only downside to using a single timer is that if the 2nd motion detector senses motion when it would turn on for an unknown time period. What I mean is say motion detector 1 senses motion, turns on light, and starts timer. Say the timer is 30 seconds. When you keep walking through the house and motion detector 2 senses motion 10 seconds later then when that light turns on it would only be on for 20 seconds, and so on and so on. Now you could have the timer reset every time it senses motion which just means that the first light would be on longer than the 30 second timer since the last motion detector senses motion and restarts the 30 second timer.

• 4 weeks later...

I miss you TexasBill!  good to see you again.

on a side note, the rhapsody advice you gave me, worked and I am loving my music now!!

Timers are great,  just make sure you name them well, so that you dont accidentally delete them down the road.  

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

I miss you TexasBill!  good to see you again.

on a side note, the rhapsody advice you gave me, worked and I am loving my music now!!

Timers are great,  just make sure you name them well, so that you dont accidentally delete them down the road.  

Adam

Thanks Adam - Rhapsody actually is REALLY cool - I have a Christmas play list and about 10 or so other play lists depending on my mood. The only down side for me is that editing the list takes a long time - once you get above 30 or so items in a list Control 4 displays the list VERY slowly.  Since I have over 300 in each of my lists it can take ten minutes to actually load and display the list.

On a "I find this to be cool" note - I got an APPLE TV this past weekend and hooked it up to my television in the living room - I still have to use the APPLE REMOTE because my dealer has not had a chance to integrate it yet - but we can now play ANYTHING from our cell phone or iPAD on the Television. We had a party the other night and when people started passing their cell phones to look at the "remember this" on SNL, we simply started to play them all on the TV and the party was a hit. Recommended. It was less than $100.00 for the entire thing and took less than 15 minutes to hook up.

Bill

Archived