C4 Forums | Control4

Can I control my own Control4?

rb10

Hello. First time poster here. I've had a small system for about a year. Now that I want to make some changes, I want to see if I can do them on my own. It should be pretty basic for now, such as adding a source, or switching one out (say from TiVo to an Apple TV or Roku). Is this possible to do on my own? My installer is saying they have to come out to program the change, and want to charge me quite a bit. I'm just unplugging one source (hdmi), and plugging in another (hdmi). 

I'd love to jump in with both feet, learn how to program my own unit, maybe add more 'capabilities' to my home.

Thanks in advance.

Did your installer not explain how the system works and changes and future addons?  Control4 is not a system that is to be installed by the end user.  Although there is Composer HE for doing some of your own programming.

No, basically it was installed with a new home and I've been using the system as-is for almost a year. Now I'd like to make some changes/updates/upgrades. I don't want to keep being charge for a system which I already purchased and paid to have installed. I would feel comfortable learning the software side of it, if I'm allowed.

No, basically it was installed with a new home and I've been using the system as-is for almost a year. Now I'd like to make some changes/updates/upgrades. I don't want to keep being charge for a system which I already purchased and paid to have installed. I would feel comfortable learning the software side of it, if I'm allowed.

In short, there are some things you can do with Composer HE.  Composer Pro is only available to dealers and all source changes have to be done by dealers. BUT your deal can do this remote if they are willing to work with you.  You can change all the hardware and he can remotely program.  That usually cuts down on cost as it avoids the truck roll.  But it all depends on your dealers ability to work with you.

Or you can let a dealer from this site remote in and change the device.

As others have said you will need to work with the dealer and be able to tell them the HDMI connections and which port the ir bug is connected to and pay them for their time and any drivers, eg the EV Roku driver.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

In terms of opening up I think the direction that it could take is getting more vendors to implement C4 SDDP

http://www.control4.com/docs/product/simple-device-discovery-protocol/brochure/latest

and then have a wizzard to guide the owner and put the device in the tree.

That should quiet the majority who just want life to be easier when they upgrade hardware, buying a new Roku3, BluRay, etc. 

Similarly C4 light switches could also attach themselves to projects in the same way with a wizard to define the room, name the switch etc.

Beyond that you are likely to need a far more advanced user than their target market and thus a truck roll.

Their are dealers here ! That will help you out for a small fee .. But just food for thought ! With a system like C4 you don't really want to play around with the programming to much it could coast you three times over if you screw it up even with HE you can corrupt your project and be screwed .. Trust me it's worth the dealer doing it

Archived