C4 Forums | Control4

Realtime WeMo Driver

Rexabyte

Yes, another WeMo driver. This one, however, is different.

Features:

• UPnP subscriptions for real time notification of WeMo state changes
  • Relay Connection
  • Light Connection
  • NO Polling
  • Keypad Connections (On, Off, Toggle)
  • Drag and drop installation
  • State variable, "ON" or "OFF"
  • Programmable commands to turn the WeMo On and Off
  • On and Off event notification
  • Detects IP and Port changes
  • Fully featured 21 day trial

Installation is easy. Once your WeMo's have been setup on the network add the WeMo Controller to the project, it will scan the network for all belkin devices (this may grab motion sensors as well) and create bindings by name for each of them. Don't worry about changing the names of WeMo devices either, the underlying map for them is the UUID of the device. After that simply add WeMo Endpoints to the project and bind them to the WeMo Controller bindings. If any WeMo devices are missed simply run the "Generate Bindings" action and the controller will pick them up and add a connection.

You can find all information here, as well as the download link:
https://bitbucket.org/rboucher/control-4-drivers-release/wiki/Driver/Belkin%20WeMo

Known Issues:

Currently there doesn't seem to be a way to receive broadcasts from Control4's DriverWorks API. So, if you move your device to a different outlet the subscription will be killed and won't be reinstated unless you send a command from Control4 to it, or until the next Subscription renewal period elapses which could be up to an hour.

If anyone knows how to receive multicast broadcasts to 239.255.255.250 (UPnP) I'd like to know.

Note:

I decided to use the WeMo device to test out my UPnP subscription stuff for the Sonos, the ice storm in Toronto delayed Sonos development a bit. I figured I'd work on the WeMo since I needed to polish up some of the UPnP subscription stuff anyway and the WeMo had a simple protocol to go along with it.

If anyone has downloaded and is using the driver with version 1.0.26 update to 1.0.27 there was an issue in 1.0.26 that causes most of the bindings not to be generated.

Be sure to completely replace the driver and not just update it, this issue has to do with the Persistent Data of the driver.

Sorry to everyone that has already downloaded it.

Good news! The driver supports the motion as well. Due to the UPnP subscription and the motion sharing the same UPnP action as the switches, you can use the endpoint and program against the "Turned On" event to detect movement across the motion. It will also update the relay bindings accurately as well, and in real time.

The only thing I did notice is that the motion sends a rather frequent notification every 20 seconds to the subscribers saying it hasn't sensed any motion.

Note: If WeMo devices continue to use the same UPnP actions, most devices should inherently work.

I've installed v1.0.27, put a Wemo switch on my LAN, configured it via the iOS app, and can control the switch from my iPhone.

The driver doesn't seem to discover the switch.

If I press "Generate Bindings" then, in the LUA window, I see:

[01/14/14 23:44:11]: ExecuteCommand[LUA_ACTION]

[string "Lua Code"]:1220: attempt to index global 'WeMoDevices' (a nil value) (ExecuteCommand)

Did I miss a step? Or is there a problem with the driver?

Cheers,

Mark.

Taking a look now.

Thanks for the heads up.

UPDATE: The driver was not working on versions older than 2.3 due to a call to "GetControllerNetworkAddress" this is now resolved, the driver will now acquire the address another way if it is unable to find API call.

Latest version is now 1.0.28, however, you only need to update if you're deploying on something older than 2.3

• 2 weeks later...

There is a cost to this driver, it is not free.

It comes with a 21 day trial that is activated as soon as it is added to the project, once the 21 days elapse the driver will stop functioning and a key will need to be purchased for further use.

The retail cost of the driver is $100, this would include remote installation of the driver.  I understand many endusers here have Composer Pro, but please don't contact us wanting dealer pricing when you are not a dealer, or asking to install the driver on your own. 

This is the only way we can insure the driver is working and installed properly.  It is not cost effective to spend time teaching end users how the whole process works and educated them about the driver. When they are not a dealer and won't install beyond their own system or make any further driver purchases the time invested doesn't make sense.

So if you don't want to pay $100 for us to install, find a dealer to buy the driver and work out pricing with them if they choose to sell for less.

Archived