C4 Forums | Control4

Nest thermostat and control4

samsong

I also heard that ecobee is going to have a new thermostat coming out this year.

Shitty thing about Ecobee is the cost.   You add up the price of the driver and the thermostat and you are way more than a nest.

The thing i like the most about my nest is the auto away. I've checked on my house several times when i've left outside my normal schedule and the feature does work well.

• 3 weeks later...

As mentioned above, the driver is not released as of yet.  It's not even in a Beta state as of yet.

There is no official nor unofficial Nest driver for Control4 at this point, but it is still in development, as is Nest's external API.

RyanE

• 5 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd share my experience integrating nest with Control4 2.5.3.  It can be done NOW but it requires a few pieces - a vera 2 zwave controller (which has nest drivers) and the ExtraVegetables driver for Vera2/Zwave.

Once you have these pieces you can link the Vera to the nest thermostats (I have 3) and then expose them in Control4.  I have the same level of integration I had with the control4 thermostats but get to leverage the cool-factor of the NEST units before Control4 releases official drivers (2.7+).

In searching these forums last month, I was never able to find confirmation whether this would work but I decided to roll the dice and can report it is all working.  You need to purchase the $150 Vera controller and EV driver but that also opens up all the zwave devices for control4 integration.  I found there are some lighting options that weren't available on zigbee I have tied in as well.

Hope this info is of use,

Dan

The only limitation on Thermostat integration via Z-Wave is that there is no scheduling functions available.  However since you don't need this with NEST this is a very clever solution.

A bit of a 'sledgehammer to crack a nut' if you don't have any other Z-Wave devices but good all the same.

I agree it might be a little "overkill" but I really like the NEST thermostats and the Vera doesn't cost that much more than a thermostat so figured it was worth it.  I also like the flexibility to use zwave. One place I was able to use it in my large family room there are 12 LED recessed LED cans all on the same dimmer.  The problem is my theater is in one corner and I'd really like to be able to control 3 of the cans separately.  Zwave has screwin inline modules I was able to put behind the three cans and then using the EV driver bind them to a 2 button keypad as well as functions on the C4 remote.  This way I can control those 3 cans separately.  Couldn't find any zigbee alternative.

The driver itself is fairly extensive and contains separate driver files for door locks, humidity sensors, light sensors, motorization, etc.  I also was playing around with roomie remote before I had all the C4 stuff setup and roomie integrates with vera as well.  As an aside, for <$50 and a few old iPads/iTouches, Roomie is an excellent solution for all IP control if can do without hard buttons (which I couldn't).   The DirecTV integration is fantastic and I was able to have it control my binary AV HDMI switching and get it running in just a couple of hours.  

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd share my experience integrating nest with Control4 2.5.3. It can be done NOW but it requires a few pieces - a vera 2 zwave controller (which has nest drivers) and the ExtraVegetables driver for Vera2/Zwave.

Once you have these pieces you can link the Vera to the nest thermostats (I have 3) and then expose them in Control4. I have the same level of integration I had with the control4 thermostats but get to leverage the cool-factor of the NEST units before Control4 releases official drivers (2.7+).

In searching these forums last month, I was never able to find confirmation whether this would work but I decided to roll the dice and can report it is all working. You need to purchase the $150 Vera controller and EV driver but that also opens up all the zwave devices for control4 integration. I found there are some lighting options that weren't available on zigbee I have tied in as well.

Hope this info is of use,

Dan

If anybody has a used vera 2 zwave controller for sale I would be interested in trying this. PM me if you do. Thanks.

Archived