C4 Forums | Control4

High Pitched Noise from One Touchpanel Location

DTxAg

So this one has me stumped. I've got a bunch of touchpanels (TSWMC5 and TSWMC7 units) in my house. In one and only one location, the touchpanel emits a high-pitched noise whenever it is turned on. From what I can tell, it sounds like it's coming from the box behind the touchpanel that connects to an Ethernet cable.

I've tried different touchpanels and different back boxes. I've tried PoE and local AC power. It happens every time, although sometimes it takes a day or so for the sound to return.

Anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

I have one like this.  I had to turn the brightness down to minimize the sound

I've tried 3 separate touchpanels, though, and it occurs across all 3.

Anyone know if the Ethernet cable connecting the touchpanel back to the switch could cause this? It's the only constant (I've always used it for data, regardless of whether PoE or local AC was used for power).

I was told that the interface sub-panel (don't remember the actual name) should be replaced.  Dealer sent me some and that fixed me up well enough.  They still will make some noise but you would need to be very close to detect that.

I was told that the interface sub-panel (don't remember the actual name) should be replaced.  Dealer sent me some and that fixed me up well enough.  They still will make some noise but you would need to be very close to detect that.

I'm guessing "interface sub-panel" is the proper name for the "box behind the touchpanel that connects to an Ethernet cable". If it is, I've tried multiple ones of those, too. That's what has me stumped.

Hmm, I've got more than one location that does this, but I don't know if I'm the "normal" sound or not.  Definitely depends on brightness how loud it is.

Looks like I'll need to play with the brightness settings, then. Too bad, as this room is normally bright, so a lower touchpanel brightness might make it harder to see.

For mine, 100% is where they are all silent.  Anything less produces a tone.

Mine was at 100%. Dropping it to 92% got rid of the high-pitch, but there's still an obvious noise that is louder than any other touchpanel I have. I still think there's something up with that location.

^Right, that's the way it was with one of mine until RMA'd the connections box.  Outside of the ferrite cores, I don't what you could do to filter a specific "location"...

The TS that you are having trouble with is the same one I had fits over.  I just had dealer guy bring over a cam model and throw the noise maker on another room.  But, the box swap did help some locations and this was recommended by Tech Support.

Both, I've tried PoE and AC and it happens with either one.

Ok, seems you have that covered - I asked because I've seen it mainly, perhaps solely, on AC powered situations where the power is very much coming from the adapter - and in all situations there were dimmers on the same circuit. Of course these were all retro fit situation (or there'd have been cat and would have been PoE)

Ok, seems you have that covered - I asked because I've seen it mainly, perhaps solely, on AC powered situations where the power is very much coming from the adapter - and in all situations there were dimmers on the same circuit. Of course these were all retro fit situation (or there'd have been cat and would have been PoE)

I played around with it a lot today, and it looks like it was the brightness. Dropping it to 98% stopped the high-pitched noise. You could still here it, but it was much better.

Archived