C4 Forums | Control4

Add a room programatically

Hi,

I need to add a room via a keypad button.  Customer would like a button called "Source", which will either turn on the audio in the bedroom (if there is audio already on in the great room), or if no audio is on, it will play a particular station from their media.

I'm not sure of the best way to program this (using Composer Pro).  Do I need to use Media Scenes and activate the scene based on "last selected room"?  Or is there some other way to simply add the room audio?

thanks!

This is pretty easy, but you will need a media scene.  just create the scene with the bedroom and great room in it linking the source.  should look something like this.

If great room is on

>activate media scene based on great room

if great room is off

>start x station in bedroom

you just have to remember to deactivate the media scene at some point (like when one of the rooms turns off).

I setup something similar. I have a TV in the master bedroom and another zone in the master bathroom. I have a 6 button keypad in the master bath, and I use 1 button to mirror the audio source in the master bedroom. 

I attached an image of the programming if you'd like to see it. 

post-124026-0-78667700-1395425078_thumb.

There's also the item 'Digital Media' (you'll find it in the first room chronologically that had a controller option) that allows you to check if a room is in a session (NOT a media scene) and add rooms together as well - call it the programming version of the zone screen.

after playing with this a bit more...apparently when using the Sonos EV driver, this doesn't seem to get picked up as a digital media "session".  any ideas on how to determine if that type of session is running?  only seems to pick up things like Rhapsody...

Sessions would constitute only what comes from a controller (I think that includes digitized streams, sources plugged into a controller audio in, but not certain on this point).

If you want to do other types of sources, I'd probably suggest something like the programming chicago.... posted, or hybrid it with doing the session thing to cover several options in one and then add that programming for other sources.

Note: chicago...'s method will not work for rhapsody/tuneIn etc id you have more than one feed running from controllers to the amplifiers, or are using separate feeds to multiple amplifiers/receivers - so the hybrid with the session plus programming for other sources tends to work best.

Thanks.  Currently I have the Sonos plugged into both the c4 amplifier (via Stereo) , as well as to a receiver (via digital optical).  Perhaps I would be better off simply plugging the Sonos into the 800 (via stereo)?  Or both the 800 and the Receiver (for better sound quality in the Receiver zone?)

You do not want to go 800 ans receiver separate as you'll introduce delay between the two. You could try 800 stand-alone, tough as mentioned I'm not sure that allows for the 'session' option to work. I intend to try as much tonight if you want to wait it out.

Archived