C4 Forums | Control4

InstantControl for Windows Phone, iOS, Android, and Windows 8

I often read these forums yet never post, but figured I'd clue people in on some things we're doing at HouseLogix. We've recently released a number of products, and with more on the way, I implore you to keep tabs on our website. Earlier today, HouseLogix announced the release of InstantControl, a minimalistic and lightweight, yet classy, mobile app to access your Control4 system. We were hearing a number of requests for Windows Phone support, and we also wanted to provide a universal experience across all devices. Our goal was to create something that provided the essentials while remaining simple and fast while still looking sophisticated. Personally, I've been using this in my own home for a while, and it's now my only control solution. The ability to drop my phone, pickup a tablet, and start exactly where I left off is quite neat.

Check out InstantControl at www.instantcontrolapp.com

-Jim Sparkman, HouseLogix

I often read these forums yet never post, but figured I'd clue people in on some things we're doing at HouseLogix. We've recently released a number of products, and with more on the way, I implore you to keep tabs on our website. Earlier today, HouseLogix announced the release of InstantControl, a minimalistic and lightweight, yet classy, mobile app to access your Control4 system. We were hearing a number of requests for Windows Phone support, and we also wanted to provide a universal experience across all devices. Our goal was to create something that provided the essentials while remaining simple and fast while still looking sophisticated. Personally, I've been using this in my own home for a while, and it's now my only control solution. The ability to drop my phone, pickup a tablet, and start exactly where I left off is quite neat.

Check out InstantControl at www.instantcontrolapp.com

-Jim Sparkman, HouseLogix

Some questions - 

I played with it today and it is a screamer! VERY fast. I love that.

I don't see how to turn on televisions and change channels with it - am I missing that?

I am interested in security - It seems if you know the IP address and the port number that this sis set up on that you have total access to the house - no passwords or security - is that right?

For the $100 fee - does that allow you to use as many ipads and iphones as you like on the project?

No matter what I do my "zones" are empty.

Thoughts?

Bill

The remote aspect of this appears to be nearly just like that of Pocket Keypad, but with a little bit different UI.  Can you speak to any advantages that your app has over Pocket Keypad?  Does it work away from the home like Pocket Keypad does (with requiring 4Sight or VPN)? Does it support push notifications like Pocket Keypad does?  Does it allow for custom commands from within the app?

Just trying to figure where this fits in the marketplace and if it's something I should continue to explore or if the same functionality is already provided.

Some questions - 

I played with it today and it is a screamer! VERY fast. I love that.

I don't see how to turn on televisions and change channels with it - am I missing that?

I am interested in security - It seems if you know the IP address and the port number that this sis set up on that you have total access to the house - no passwords or security - is that right?

For the $100 fee - does that allow you to use as many ipads and iphones as you like on the project?

No matter what I do my "zones" are empty.

Thoughts?

Bill

Glad to hear that Bill. A television would be listed under the main TV category. For me, I go to TV >> then click on my plasma tv device to turn it on. I can then change channels by pressing the remote control button (the 3rd button from the left on the bottom navigation bar).

The driver is a one time purchase for the project. The app itself is a free download on all of the app stores. You can add as many devices as you want, and you can add as many copies of the driver to the project as you like. This leaves flexibility in the way devices connect. Each device can connect to it's own separate driver, or multiple devices can share one driver. This allows you to add a driver for John Doe, and John Doe's phone, tablet, and laptop all connect to that driver. John can start browsing music on his laptop, quickly switch to his phone, and pickup exactly where he was before.

As for security, we debated and weighed a number of options for this initial release. In the end, we decided to run with a drop and go, dead simple, driver installation. No settings or passwords required. Network traffic between the app and the driver is actually obfuscated, but that's the extent. The app is intended for use at home on a local password protected and encrypted network only. We aren't trying to compete with 4Sight, which employs SSL and a cloud server to create a secure remote connection. (That's also why it is slower)

Granted, I've heard a bit of feedback from InstantControl users, and some enjoy it enough to start opening their networks and port forward to it for remote access when they are away from home. That's a risk they are willing to take (any time you open a port you are increasing risk), and HouseLogix isn't responsible for someone's decision to modify their network. If users continue to explore this avenue, we'll push the ability to turn on additional security in the next update, but so far no one has raised any concern. Additionally, people seem to really be drawn to the fact that this app is so lightweight and responsive, and we don't want to detract from that either. Yes, it's fast.

Did you happen to call the office earlier today and talk to Chris? Give us a call in the morning (its 10PM here) and we'll see what we can do for your zone issue.

-Jim, HouseLogix

The remote aspect of this appears to be nearly just like that of Pocket Keypad, but with a little bit different UI.  Can you speak to any advantages that your app has over Pocket Keypad?  Does it work away from the home like Pocket Keypad does (with requiring 4Sight or VPN)? Does it support push notifications like Pocket Keypad does?  Does it allow for custom commands from within the app?

Just trying to figure where this fits in the marketplace and if it's something I should continue to explore or if the same functionality is already provided.

I've never used Pocket Keypad and I do not know it's specifics. It may have everything you need and it looks like a good product. We do not officially condone remote access for security reasons, but I know users are doing it on their own accord. Messages can be sent to the app's title bar. It is scriptable with html so you can actually send a scrolling blinking red text message to the app if you wanted. However, you must open the app to view it. It's not a true push notification. Custom commands are programmed inside Composer, so it is very flexible.

-Jim, HouseLogix

Glad to hear that Bill. A television would be listed under the main TV category. For me, I go to TV >> then click on my plasma tv device to turn it on. I can then change channels by pressing the remote control button (the 3rd button from the left on the bottom navigation bar).

The driver is a one time purchase for the project. The app itself is a free download on all of the app stores. You can add as many devices as you want, and you can add as many copies of the driver to the project as you like. This leaves flexibility in the way devices connect. Each device can connect to it's own separate driver, or multiple devices can share one driver. This allows you to add a driver for John Doe, and John Doe's phone, tablet, and laptop all connect to that driver. John can start browsing music on his laptop, quickly switch to his phone, and pickup exactly where he was before.

As for security, we debated and weighed a number of options for this initial release. In the end, we decided to run with a drop and go, dead simple, driver installation. No settings or passwords required. Network traffic between the app and the driver is actually obfuscated, but that's the extent. The app is intended for use at home on a local password protected and encrypted network only. We aren't trying to compete with 4Sight, which employs SSL and a cloud server to create a secure remote connection. (That's also why it is slower)

Granted, I've heard a bit of feedback from InstantControl users, and some enjoy it enough to start opening their networks and port forward to it for remote access when they are away from home. That's a risk they are willing to take (any time you open a port you are increasing risk), and HouseLogix isn't responsible for someone's decision to modify their network. If users continue to explore this avenue, we'll push the ability to turn on additional security in the next update, but so far no one has raised any concern. Additionally, people seem to really be drawn to the fact that this app is so lightweight and responsive, and we don't want to detract from that either. Yes, it's fast.

Did you happen to call the office earlier today and talk to Chris? Give us a call in the morning (its 10PM here) and we'll see what we can do for your zone issue.

-Jim, HouseLogix

Yes - I did - I also called back late this afternoon and left a message with my phone numbers. Give me a call in the morning when you have time and we can go over some questions?

Thanks,

Bill

Wow, thanks for taking the time to create an app for those of us who use Windows phones. I look forward to getting to try this out. Thanks greatly for taking the time to support those of us who are non idevice users or android users!

Port forwarding *any* Control4 ports through a firewall is a bad idea.

While I'm sure this app and driver combination is great, leaving security of your Control4 system on the Internet to *any* driver's security is a bad idea.

Please don't do it.

RyanE

leaving security of your Control4 system on the Internet to *any* driver's security is a bad idea.

Definitely agreed, which is why we've taken the approach we have on this app. We do not condone external access.

4Sight architecture is intended to provide a secure remote connection, and if you're away from home, that's the solution.

-Jim, HouseLogix

As someone who's been using this software now for about a week, I just wanted to give a little review. Let's start with the hardware. I'm using a Nokia 920 for my phone and I have a Surface RT for my tablet. Configuration was extremely simple. Simply install driver, insert the license key and either use the default port or change it up. Then install the software on your phone / tablet of choice and enter settings. Configure the IP and port you'll be using for access and tell it connect. That's it.

As for use, it is very fast and easy to use to navigate around the menus and access specific rooms and settings. The interface is pretty self explanatory. Think the interface on your SR250. It pretty much follows that in menu appearance. So far the only minor things I've found to date to which I have already explained to Jim at Houselogix is that initially my phone wasn't picking up the fireplace relay in our living room until after I installed the software on my tablet. Odd quirk, but apparently solved.

Secondly, just like on your remote, you don't have the option to search by station at this time. All your stations are listed alphabetically so if you have AM/FM/XM/ TuneIN/Etc listed you have a lot to scroll through to get to your station. I would personally like to see the ability to search or filter by source.

Third was security. I do not have a way to arm or disarm my alarm system from the software based simply on default settings. I could probably go in and create buttons to arm/disarm the system but now that summer is approaching and I will leave windows open at night I'd like the ability to bypass a certain zone which will require me to input that data when I arm the system.

Finally, I think the cost is a little excessive, but I also have to understand the audience this was created for. While it can be used on pretty much any device, lets face it, it's going to be geared towards those of us who don't have direct C4 access on an RT tablet or windows phone until C4 builds something for us. So this means a limited number of users who will find this software useful. So a higher cost will help recoup the cost of development more so then a lower cost will. At the same time, will a lower cost bring in more people to buy it?

In the end, I'm currently happy with what I have. I have a quick and easy to use controller that is always on me so I can adjust lights, volume and more around my home instead of going and getting one of the 250's, or finding the wife's iphone or ipad.

I'm going to give this a go. I admit, I currently use Pocket Keypad for EVERYTHING, especially due to the remote access, and push notifications. From what I can tell, I think I'll end up using both.

I use Pocket Keypad a ton too. I can't bring myself to spend the money to try this because PK works so well. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

I would say the key difference here is that you're talking an android only program vs a program built for windows phone (but also available for other devices). So while PK may be a nice option, currently instantcontrol is my ONLY option for use on my phone or tablet since I'm running an RT tablet instead of a surface pro. Prior to this, I would simply RDP to my main PC and then use the myhome app on it. Time consuming, but my only option aside from tracking down my wifes idevices. I previously had an Asus Transformer Prime Android tablet, up until it was stolen so that allowed me to use the android C4 Apps.

• 5 months later...

That would be helpful, thanks.  Was already looking at InstantControl because of the speed, and also one family member has Windows Phone.  Now another family member will have an unsupported iPod Touch.  Wish it was cheaper, but might go for it if its compatible.

Little disappointing that 1) there are issues (if there are) and 2) they didn't let you know about it ahead of time.  2.6 has been in beta for a while and this is the type of app that really needs to be kept up to date so upgrades don't break it.  I'll be watching to see what the response time is on this.

Right now it appears the only thing I can't do is control the lights. I've been able to shut off or turn on audio zones, adjust volume and other things as mentioned prior, but multiple rooms, multiple types of switches...no good. I'll be emailing houselogix this evening to see what's the issue and when to expect resolution since they have only updated the driver once since release.

Update from HouseLogix on the issue:

We're actively looking at the issue and will pushing an update shortly to resolve the problem. We are also working on a new feature we announced at CEDIA which will be added in a future build for macros:

It will give the app user the ability to record, save, and play their own macros. Hit record, perform multiple actions like setting lights, music, blinds, and temperature, then save and playback for easy Control4 programming. A quick way to automate tasks you do every day with no dealer interaction required!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived