C4 Forums | Control4

eGauge EG3000 energy monitoring driver

Thank you for your feedback.  The current version of the driver does have total usage and generation as a variable.  In order to make it simpler we have added total usage and total generation event triggers.

This version has been sent to Extra Vegetables for upload to the website.  If you have auto update enabled you will see a new version in the next few days.  Please note that since an XML change has been added you will need to restart your controller once the version has incremented.

No changes have been made to the 4store app.  We are not looking at making any changes to the 4store app at this stage.

• 4 months later...

Yet another area of this driver that needs attention...  I'm probably talking to myself but if there is anyone else using this driver, be aware that you will need re-authenticate the driver(s) e-v-e-r-y-t-i-m-e the controller is rebooted.  

Yet another area of this driver that needs attention...  I'm probably talking to myself but if there is anyone else using this driver, be aware that you will need re-authenticate the driver(s) e-v-e-r-y-t-i-m-e the controller is rebooted.  

Rather than report your problems on a forum you should really utilise our helpdesk on the houselogix website.  The licencing for the Houselogix and Extra Vegetables version of the driver will automatically re-authenticate upon reboot through each licencing server.  The same licencing code used in the eGauge driver is used for all of our drivers and works extremely well (its our bread and butter so we need it to work well).  I am not sure if you are using the Extra Vegetables version of the driver or not but if you are then you will need to contact Extra Vegetables for support on that because they insert the licencing for us and we have no control over it.  Having said that though we have had no reported issues thus far with licencing.

I'll be honest, this driver is not completely useless but close to it.  What would it take to drag-in instantaneous usage and generation?  Isn't this important in making snap decisions?  You need to be looking at the TOTALS & VIRTUAL REGISTERS entries..  I get it, clamp info will tell you when you are at MAX or MIN and you make some sort of decision on a single load but current channels cannot be additive within Composer.  So, any kind of multiple array/inverter installs won't get along with this driver.

On another note.  This was added a while back.  Though we could not release it until December when we migrated to Houselogix.  This is due to Extra Vegetable store closure that no new updates were added for a while.

Version #20140922 - 22-SEP-2014
  • Added total generation and total usage to min and max event triggers
  • Resolved issue with voltage channel 3 not reporting back.

^Alan,  the TOTAL that you pulled in was for the running total since the start of logging/time of a 3000.  This is not the same as a virtual channel total which is necessary on multiple 3000s, mulitple subpanels or multiple MPPT channels on a single solar inverter or multiple inverters.  I don't see the value in what you added.  I understand you added TOTALS because it is made available within the egauge data stream.

I've been down this road before with vendors.  It's easy to pull -n hardware channels all day long.  When it comes to virtual variables/channels, it becomes a pain in the ass.  It's not impossible to do, just time consuming.

Rather than report your problems on a forum you should really utilise our helpdesk on the houselogix website.  The licencing for the Houselogix and Extra Vegetables version of the driver will automatically re-authenticate upon reboot through each licencing server.  The same licencing code used in the eGauge driver is used for all of our drivers and works extremely well (its our bread and butter so we need it to work well).  I am not sure if you are using the Extra Vegetables version of the driver or not but if you are then you will need to contact Extra Vegetables for support on that because they insert the licencing for us and we have no control over it.  Having said that though we have had no reported issues thus far with licencing.

I assure you that my two drivers have never re-authenticated upon a controller reboot no matter how well they were crafted.  Yes, my dealer purchased from EV.  I am asking if anyone else has seen this.  

^Alan,  the TOTAL that you pulled in was for the running total since the start of logging/time of a 3000.  This is not the same as a virtual channel total which is necessary on multiple 3000s, mulitple subpanels or multiple MPPT channels on a single solar inverter or multiple inverters.  I don't see the value in what you added.  I understand you added TOTALS because it is made available within the egauge data stream.

I've been down this road before with vendors.  It's easy to pull -n hardware channels all day long.  When it comes to virtual variables/channels, it becomes a pain in the ass.  It's not impossible to do, just time consuming.

You need to utilise the Houselogix updated version.  As discussed we fixed this in an update.  The value we pull in is from the following park of the XML.

<meter type="total" title="Total Usage">
<energy>422.2</energy>
<energyWs>1519919220</energyWs>
<power>55.7</power>
</meter>
<meter type="total" title="Total Generation">
<energy>0.0</energy>
<energyWs>0</energyWs>
<power>0.0</power>
</meter>

Which is calculated by visiting the eGauge settings page and modifying the Totals and Virtual Registers.  I just confirmed it just now modifying the formula in the settings page to see if the total values change which it did.

Have your dealer submit a support ticket: http://support.houselogix.com

We can migrate your EV keys to HouseLogix, so that you may continue using the most current Chowmain drivers.

Jim

There's always some caveat.  For 2.5x users this isn't going to be an option for you.  For me, 2.6 knocks-out too much hardware to change so I'm stuck on 7.1.1 with no virtual channel programming available.

^What's the point?  Solar/power consumption is going too far?  Considering there are probably a number of folks here who spend more on energy per year than they do on Control4 junk, this is not outrageous.  And, no, it's not fun when the goal is blocked by drivers not well thought out in the first place.  Most drivers I have purchased have been thrown away due to adverse impact on system integrity or operational shortcomings.

DriversLab not included (shameless little plug for the Santa Monica crew there).

^ yep...this driver stuff can get frustrating. No two ways about it... 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am frustrated.  Frustrated over the fact that I didn't get $200 worth of driver.  Screwing-up what I believe to be the two most valuable attributes and then bailing on all but new users or richey-rich types that can upgrade on command? This is why I mostly gave-up on the third-party field for Control4.  It's not about how much one can integrate- y'all free to spend your money any way you want.  It's about standing by your customer base no matter where your product goes and no matter how right or wrong you think you are.

I am frustrated.  Frustrated over the fact that I didn't get $200 worth of driver.  Screwing-up what I believe to be the two most valuable attributes and then bailing on all but new users or richey-rich types that can upgrade on command? This is why I mostly gave-up on the third-party field for Control4.  It's not about how much one can integrate- y'all free to spend your money any way you want.  It's about standing by your customer base no matter where your product goes and no matter how right or wrong you think you are.

First of all i would like to correct your statement.  We support all of our customers with free upgrades from day 1 until now.  Now some of those upgrades are not compatible with older versions of hardware & older versions of OS.  We have made a business decision to take the opportunity to embrace the new C4Z filetype for all of our drivers.  This adds more security for our drivers and additional API functionality that we did not have previously.  We have worked hard with both Extra Vegetables and Houselogix to ensure that all customers who have purchased our licences from Extra Vegetables have the option of migrating to Houselogix if they choose to.

We try to make our drivers as easy to evaluate as possible prior to purchase with our trial licencing system.  This (in most cases) eliminates any questions people have over the majority of funcitonality they are looking for in any of our drivers.

We do listen to our customers and should any fault arise we resolve it in a timely manner where possible.  Unfortunately for this case the fault was reported after Extra Vegetables had disclosed to us after the Extra Vegetables acquisition and as such we could not submit the fixed version.

I'm sorry that you feel the way you feel.  We have done everything within our power to rectify faults and offer the best customer service we can.  If you are still not happy we can offer you a full refund of the driver (Note if you go by this option the refund will be submitted the purchasee of the driver and the licence will be revolked from the EV servers).

I am frustrated.  Frustrated over the fact that I didn't get $200 worth of driver.  Screwing-up what I believe to be the two most valuable attributes and then bailing on all but new users or richey-rich types that can upgrade on command? This is why I mostly gave-up on the third-party field for Control4.  It's not about how much one can integrate- y'all free to spend your money any way you want.  It's about standing by your customer base no matter where your product goes and no matter how right or wrong you think you are.. I can't argue with this. 

Fair enough. I Can't argue with this.

At this stage we arn't putting any more investment into the egauge driver due to the lack of interest in it.  Unfortunately consumers seem to purchase more AV focused drivers from our findings rather then the energy and smart home technology.

We are not shying away from the energy space though.  We are just looking at solutions that are more attractive.

Back in July, you had made the decision to quit supporting this driver.  Was that before or after you discovered that the TOTAL was cumulative and NOT instantaneous?  Your option of a refund and pulling my key is not acceptable.  This is not an argument as such (like driver wars was here about a year ago) but an opportunity to prove you do support your paying customers.  All I expect is the driver you sold me be corrected to reflect the change I am asking for and should have been there all along.  

Back in July, you had made the decision to quit supporting this driver.  Was that before or after you discovered that the TOTAL was cumulative and NOT instantaneous?  Your option of a refund and pulling my key is not acceptable.  This is not an argument as such (like driver wars was here about a year ago) but an opportunity to prove you do support your paying customers.  All I expect is the driver you sold me be corrected to reflect the change I am asking for and should have been there all along.  

That statement was in regards to investment of time for new functionality (which still holds true).  Not existing functionality.  The problem you reported was in September for existing functionality which we area always happy to resolve.

I understand you frustration and am happy to come to a compromise that will make you happy.  We will go back and fix the issue in the c4i version of the driver and release it only to your dealer for your system. This special version of the driver will be watermarked and tied specifically to your system.

Due to the amount of attempts on piracy over the past few years by the http://www.c4diy.net/ community we have been forced to migrate from c4i to c4z.  I hope you understand why we (and others) had to do something about it so that we can stay in business.  Otherwise we might as well shut up shop and do something else.

Please get your dealer to contact me via our contact us page on our website.  We will liaise with him to update the driver on your system.

I thought you were hacked by an individual that refunded all the money collected and shut down his service. Had there been more hacking attempts?

Yeah I don't want to get into a discussion about that in this thread. To give a simple reply there is a reason why the majority of developers have moved to c4z and why control4 have beefed up their encryption algorithms.

Anyway let's keep this thread on topic as its headed in the wrong direction already.

Archived