C4 Forums | Control4

Would this combination of products work for IR over Cat5E?

dc15

Or if you don't have CAT-5 run to the room you can use the other pair on your phone wiring, assuming that you only have one phone line.  That's what we are using in my house to send IR from the controller in the basement to drive the blinds in my bedroom.

When I tried this with a CAT5 cable, the IR cables were so brittle that it never worked.  It was a C4 IR emitter.  I ended up just purchasing a few 25ft audio extension cords for $6/each.  Been working for over 1 year now.  May be I'm doing something wrong.  Anyone have pics they can share?  I have a few more that I'd like to do where the CAT5 cable is already in place.

I've never taken pics of it but we run IR over cat5 on pretty much every install we do and have never had issues.  Like Cyknight said just cut your emitter in half.  It has 2 wires.  Pick a pair on your cat5 and splice your two wires from the emitter into the two wires in your cat5 pair.  Just make sure the same emitter wire is on the same cat5 wire and you're good to go.  

I've never taken pics of it but we run IR over cat5 on pretty much every install we do and have never had issues.  Like Cyknight said just cut your emitter in half.  It has 2 wires.  Pick a pair on your cat5 and splice your two wires from the emitter into the two wires in your cat5 pair.  Just make sure the same emitter wire is on the same cat5 wire and you're good to go.  

same here.

I have used scotch lock's and dolphin connectors to splice cat5 to the IR flasher and both work eaqually well.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Stereo-Mini-3-5mm-Audio-Balun-Extender-Over-Cat5-Cat5E-Cat6-Cable-/310443322658

Receiver to the Controller

and Transmitter to emitter using a http://www.amazon.ca/Gold-Plated-Stereo-Coupler-Female/dp/B003J9MYMQ ?

Just trying to figure out how to use a Cat-5E to home run an IR

Wait,

I think we missed the main part.

you do not need a receiver to the controller

Archived