C4 Forums | Control4

Airplay/Wireless Music Bridge connection dropping

I'm having trouble with Airplay on my iPhone or iPad disconnecting from the WMB.  I'll have sessions where everything starts off fine using Pandora on my iPhone or iPad playing through the WMB.  But then if I change stations on Pandora or sometimes just randomly, the iOS device will switch from the WMB and go back to playing on just the device.  When I click on the Airplay icon, it shows both the iOS device and the Control4 WMB.  When I click on the WMB, the icon turns blue and it looks like it's going to the WMB, but then after I hit play on the app, the icon reverts to white and it goes back to the iOS device.  

At other times, the AirPlay icon will disappear from my iOS devices completely, as if there's not an Airplay device on the network.

I can't figure out if this is a problem with the WMB, my Time Capsule wifi network, or something in iOS.  Has anyone else experienced this?

I have not seen those kinds of issues.  It would be nice if you additional AirPlay devices to test with to see if you get this behavior across the board, but I guess that isn't a possibility?

You can download a free program to enable AirPlay on a PC, that might work for testing.

There is a beta? patch out that takes care of some of the WMBs going off-line in certain scenarios, but the airplay disappearing is a fairly well know "Airplay" issue - particularly from iOS, in general when using any wireless device. If you CAN, get iTunes on a HARDWIRED computer and see if airplay stays visible there. If it does, that rules out the need for the patch (PS a dealer will have to get in contact with tech support or go via the knowledge base to get this).

Could be the general airplay issue, though I wouldn't trust the Timecapsule for wireless or router any further than I can throw Apple's main office.

• 1 month later...

I am experiencing the same problem on one system;  Apple Airport Extreme router/wap, cisco unmanaged switch.

1. I have seen the owner think he lost the airplay icon, when actual issue was that the iDevice (iPad, iPhone) was on the guest network provided by the Apple Airport Extreme, versus the primary wireless network.

2. But have not resolved the loss of streaming followed by pressing the airplay icon to try and resume streaming...only to have the icon go from active to inactive and, obviously, the streaming does not resume.  This happens repeatedly. It has occurred between songs or following the XM shutting off when it times out.

Archived