C4 Forums | Control4

Hi All - 

I have what might be a medium sized setup (my home is about 3900 sq/ft - and I know there are some 5K+ people out there).  I control all lighting, video distribution to 4 zones/tVs, and Audio through Sonos, 8 zones using EV driver)... powered by a HC800 as the main director and I have a HC300 in the 'theater' controlling things there.  

Every now and then (maybe every month or so...) the system starts to lag and become unresponsive.  The C4 remotes, apps, even light switches stop responding, but still seem to queue up, because after 10+ seconds the commands (volume up/down, channel changes, scenes, etc) suddenly start to fire off.  An example... my wife presses volume up over and over because nothing happens, and then after 10 seconds it will turn the volume ALL the way up.  Another example, I press a button that launches a Kitchen On advanced lighting scene and nothing happens, so I press it again and then some seconds later, the lights come on, and then the scene toggles to off.  

I'm fairly technical and have done a decent amount of basic programming w/ C4 on my own.  I'm somewhat sure I don't have any crazy loops running, I'm not doing anything fancy with loops and schedules.  

My QUESTION... I'm looking for a good place to start investigating the cause.  Anyone have this happen before?  Any experts point me to any tools in HC or HCPro that might give me more data?

Thanks in advance!!

J

I had the same issue that was resolved by changing wifi channel of my network. Was creating interference.

Interesting... easy enough to try out.

What I would do, is run the system diagnostics, this is available on pro, which will show you what processes are taking up the most memory.  From there it's just narrowing down the root cause.  

Thanks neil... I'll see if I can get my dealer to run diagnostics for me.

The classic *reboot* tends to take care of it too... though I'm having no problems right now.  Seems intermittent.

Interesting... easy enough to try out.

Thanks neil... I'll see if I can get my dealer to run diagnostics for me.

The classic *reboot* tends to take care of it too... though I'm having no problems right now.  Seems intermittent.

I have had this exact problem and it appears to be related to a poorly written EV driver.  Control4 SWAT team looked into my project and confirmed that there are some EV drivers causing these issues.  If you have any EV drivers they may be the culprit.  Specifically for my system, the MyMovies driver causes this command queue pause every 5 minutes when the driver tries to save my database to the Control4 system storage.  

Next time you have system lag, log in to the HC800 (with SSH client like putty) and run the 'top' command.  It's a way for you to look at the processes that are running on the controller. 

Archived